Will ducks start laying in winter?

BiggBen

Chirping
7 Years
May 4, 2014
We hatched out 26 ducklings over this summer. Specifically on July 18th this year. This is our first time with ducks, and we’re wondering if they would start laying in the winter time when they become of age, or if they will wait till next spring? Any help would be greatly appreciated

My young duck's laid in the winter still no problem. I do know the decrease in daylight can affect laying but I haven't experienced that yet with either my duck's or chickens. I live in Washington and we get sunshine 3 months out of the year if we are lucky. It's mostly cold, wet, and rainy here. Someone just told me a couple of days ago that you can place any light in their coop such as an LED bulb and it will work to compensate for the lost daylight. I thought for some reason it would have to be a special type of light but I guess not! I'm not 100% sure if it works on ducks but placing ceramic fake eggs or a golfball even in their nesting boxes/area they lay at will help remind them to lay their eggs there too.

My young duck's laid in the winter still no problem. I do know the decrease in daylight can affect laying but I haven't experienced that yet with either my duck's or chickens. I live in Washington and we get sunshine 3 months out of the year if we are lucky. It's mostly cold, wet, and rainy here. Someone just told me a couple of days ago that you can place any light in their coop such as an LED bulb and it will work to compensate for the lost daylight. I thought for some reason it would have to be a special type of light but I guess not! I'm not 100% sure if it works on ducks but placing ceramic fake eggs or a golfball even in their nesting boxes/area they lay at will help remind them to lay their eggs there too.
LED is good too because it doesn't produce a lot of heat at all compared to normal bulbs!

We have 3 Pekins that we got at the end of spring "Chick Days" last year... can't remember when that was though. But they all started laying in late fall/early winter. And they laid a lot of eggs. They got into my shrub nursery (100+ gardenia, azalea, crape myrtles and hydrangea plants that I started from cuttings last summer) and made nests everywhere. Didn't find most of the nests until spring when I was moving the plants out away from the house.

Back
Top Bottom