Will Ducks thirst themselves? Won't get in pond!

ninety6

Chirping
Jun 9, 2021
Duck Wizards:

We have 7 female ducks that refuse to go in our 1/8 acre pond. My thought is that if we don't provide any water, they'll go in the pond eventually, or at least drink from the edge. Wife thinks they won't so we keep a small bin of fresh water so they can drink where they eat (about 10' from the pond's edge). We fill a baby pool once or twice a week and they go bananas in it and clean up, so they love swimming, but refuse the pond. Winter is fast approaching (southern ohio), and it would be a challenge to keep thawed water available outside of the pond all winter. The pond has fish and frogs, and maybe some turtles but we never see turtles so not sure.

So: If we remove all drinking water -- will they eventually go in the pond to drink? Or would they actually thirst themselves to an unhealthy point (or worse)? How long can they safely go without any water? There is a place in the pond where they can wade in slowly -- and a pond across out drive way that has a "beach" type area. They used to hang out in both of those areas and seemed to be easing in -- but then stopped completely.

They eat duck pellets readily by the pond, and hang out when not eating about 100-150' from the pond amongst some pine trees and bushes by the house.

A little back story:
Mallard, Black Swedish, Blue Swedish, Blue Runner, Welsh Harlequinn, Saxony, Cayuga.
The reason we have these 7 ducks was to be companions to our beloved duck Peso. Peso has lived in the pond for the past year -- but became a coyote snack this summer :(. Peso was just starting to "mother" these 7 ducks who were pretty small at that time. Loved that duck. So now we have these 7 ducks and they refuse to get in the water.

After months of refusing, we tried to ease them in by holding them close to the shore, take them in in a kayak (ha), but they just ran out like a Jesus lizard and gave us the stink eye. I've tried to put their food RIGHT by the edge and they won't touch it. We tried leaving taller grass around half the pond so they had hiding places, no luck.

They hang out on one side of our house all day, then cross the front yard at duck and wait for us to come out and pen them up. They go right in nightly when we go out and walk them to it.

Attachments

• PXL_20220709_172532904.jpg
    PXL_20220709_172532904.jpg
    760.5 KB · Views: 75
Sounds like something has traumatized them.

I wouldn't withhold water, keep offering them their regular drinking water and the kiddy pool.

You might look into getting some heated water bowl/buckets and keep them near the house for the winter, since they like to hang out there. Or refill some buckets during the winter, which is what I do, twice a day.

Your ducks are telling you something traumatic has happened. Either there are snapping turtles in your pond or the fish have been nibbling on them. Which has scared them, they are prey so they can't be too careful.
You can't feed them without water they will choke. So please don't take their water away.
If they won't even go down to the pond and are sticking close to the house sure makes it look like something has really scared them. Ducks love water and with them acting like they are sure looks like they have been traumatized. Did they see Peso get nabbed by the coyote? How old are these ducks. I am glad to hear you do put them up at night so they don't become coyote or other predators dinner.
And if your ducks are up close to your home maybe consider buying some heated buckets. i have used them for many years and they work great.

Last edited:
Agree - they must have fresh water by their food. And make sure they have a safe and secure place to hide in during the day if a predator comes. I have a neighbor with a pond in a situation just like yours, and her ducks are often picked off during the daytime by predators. They're completely defenseless domesticated animals, so putting them into a wild situation is really taking a big risk with their lives.

Thanks for the responses! They did NOT see Peso get eaten -- they were secure in their pen -- but Peso slept on the water as she refused to go in the pen starting last fall... So we don't know if she hopped out early morning, or if she was too close to the edge and got snatched... :(

The new Duckies are free-range all day -- but they have plenty of hiding spaces in the pine trees and bushes by the house -- so they hang out there a lot.

We won't let them thirst! So still no magical training methods to get the ducks in the water :lol:.

But there is hope! My wife sent me this photo yesterday while I was at work. They have been eyeing a couple wild mallards swimming in our pond for the last few days... Apparently yesterday they went to the "beach" of the neighbors little pond and were hanging out and splashing around a bit. This is the first time they've stepped food in either pond in months. Perhaps they'll make it in eventually!

Attachments

• ducks.jpg
    ducks.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 32
It's a Friday Miracle! They have been swimming around in the pond today quite a bit -- staying close to the edge but swimming and eating and staying in for periods of time. Seems the wild mallards got them curious. The cooler weather slows down the fish and such too...

This is the neighbors pond -- but they did step foot in our pond today as well -- and a couple of them floated around for a couple minutes..

So progress... Seems all i had to do was post about them on the internet and now they are finally progressing. yay! (and thanks to the friendly wild mallards)

Attachments

• 20221007_131340.jpg
    20221007_131340.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 29
Today they are swimming across the small pond next door. Between our pond and the neighbor, they've been in the water all day today. Hopefully they keep this up! We'd like them in our pond but we'll take the forward progress. This tiny pond freezes much quicker than ours. And we'll have a fountain or pump going to keep it moving all winter as long as the ducks will swim in it!

Woohoo!

Attachments

• Image_20221008_160547_630.jpeg
    Image_20221008_160547_630.jpeg
    525.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Image_20221008_160547_774.jpeg
    Image_20221008_160547_774.jpeg
    493.8 KB · Views: 21

Back
Top Bottom