Will goats keep raccoons away from my chickens?

TomCatAcres

Hatching
Aug 8, 2016
Midlands, South Carolina
My favorite hen was killed 2 days ago, and because of what I have read about raccoons, I feel sure that's what attacked her (her head was missing, her body dragged to the fence, etc.) I was wondering if anyone has used goats as a way to keep predators away from the chickens, and if it has worked for you. I had a Billy in rut in the pasture with the hens, but we removed him to keep him away from my nanny goats, and that is when the attack happened. I have had chickens for a year now, and never had a raccoon attack before, so I'm wondering if the Billy goat being gone had anything to do with the raccoons being brave enough to come into the pasture. Only animals in that pasture are chickens and goats. Thanks in advance for any advice. My chickens are pets, and I am heartbroken that they took the sweetest one.

I have my chickens with goats, and dogs on the outside of the goat pen, the combo has kept everything away from our chickens, our cats don't even go into the goat pens.

Our dogs do a pretty good job of making our property predator unfriendly - we have 5. Ranging from an American bulldog, a pitbull, a mixed terrier, a rescue that looks a little like a malinois mix, and my boston terrier, who's an absolute idiot, but I still love him.

The dogs can get out of our fenced areas, and routinely go "Around" the goat pen and into the horse pasture - (I wasn't thrilled about that) but they haven't tried to get into the goat pen, so as long as they stay out, I'll leave them be, since they are keeping predators away.

As to the goats... I'm sure my goats being around does help deter predators due to their size.... a goat seeing a racoon is going to let out a pretty big racket.

We have goats in the same area as our poultry.
Some predators may have seen them and not come into the yard but they provide no protection that i know of.
Ive seen hawks, a fox and cats in the yard and they either run like everything else or never notice them. Thats been in the daytime but figure its the same at night when coons are more active.
We have our dogs with them most of the day and overnights now and they have been the only thing that we have that will confront any predators.
We have mini donkeys in a different area and they have chased foxes and cats but imo our horses, goats, sheep, pigs, guineas, geese, turkeys and ducks provide zero protection.
Roosters have put up a good bluff a few times but provide little else towards predators.

We have goats in the same area as our poultry.
Some predators may have seen them and not come into the yard but they provide no protection that i know of.
Ive seen hawks, a fox and cats in the yard and they either run like everything else or never notice them. Thats been in the daytime but figure its the same at night when coons are more active.
We have our dogs with them most of the day and overnights now and they have been the only thing that we have that will confront any predators.
We have mini donkeys in a different area and they have chased foxes and cats but imo our horses, goats, sheep, pigs, guineas, geese, turkeys and ducks provide zero protection.
Roosters have put up a good bluff a few times but provide little else towards predators.
our mini horse chases the dogs/cats and other predators out of our yard. He hates them.

My favorite hen was killed 2 days ago, and because of what I have read about raccoons, I feel sure that's what attacked her (her head was missing, her body dragged to the fence, etc.) I was wondering if anyone has used goats as a way to keep predators away from the chickens, and if it has worked for you. I had a Billy in rut in the pasture with the hens, but we removed him to keep him away from my nanny goats, and that is when the attack happened. I have had chickens for a year now, and never had a raccoon attack before, so I'm wondering if the Billy goat being gone had anything to do with the raccoons being brave enough to come into the pasture. Only animals in that pasture are chickens and goats. Thanks in advance for any advice. My chickens are pets, and I am heartbroken that they took the sweetest one.
Maybe...but the best way to protect birds from predators is a secure coop locked up at night.(I'm assuming this happened at night)

I would guess probably not. Goat are not protector of anything. The dogs are what keeping your area free of predators. Get a burro and watch the dogs run. A burro will kill a larger predator like coyote in a heart beat.

Last edited:
  I would guess probably not. Goat are not protector of anything. The dogs are what keeping your area free of predators. Get a burro and watch the dogs run. A burro will kill a larger predator like coyote in a heart beat.

Lol
Ya we got a mini donkey for goat protection. **** donkey tried to stomp the goats.
We now have two that cover half of one side of our property. Nothing goes through without some action for them.

If you get a Pyrenees get a puppy be diligent in training it to be with chickens, the Pyrenees i had protected goats at an early age but wouldnt adjust to chickens ,he was a chicken killer.

Back
Top Bottom