Will hatched chicks damage other eggs?

This is what I came up with to keep the chicks separated from the eggs so they won't disturb them. I just cut a strip of cardboard and taped it into a circle/square, making a corral of sorts, and put the eggs inside it being careful to keep them in their original position. I have one chick hatched who was knocking them around. :) Hopefully the little chickie hasn't caused too much damage. They weren't supposed to hatch until tomorrow!

Last edited:
I have read that it is not good for newly hatched chicks to move around too much because they can actually harm their legs. I read an article eariler this year that suggested you make little breed boxes out of hardware cloth 9" x 9" squares, cut 2" x 2" squares out of each corner and bend the wire on the sides up to form a 5" x 5" box making sure there are no sharp points. This is used to keep the chick more corralled so they aren't able to move so much and it keeps them from playing soccer with the other eggs. You are supposed to put 4 eggs in each box during lockdown.

Back
Top Bottom