Will hawk take chicken with people nearby?

Tracyree

Songster
12 Years
May 6, 2011
Out with pullets today and a hawk kept hovering above us. I was within 2 feet of the girls at all times, as well as my kids nearby. That darned hawk kept coming back and I swear was drooling on us.

Would a hawk attack with people so close by?

Last edited:
I think they will. I was out of sight when our hawk attacked.I have read posts of the hawk attacking right near a person.

Yes. This once happened while I was out doing my daily coop chores, in winter, when hawks are especially desperate. This cooper's hawk had been hanging around the yard, waiting for an opportunity, for about 2 weeks. But I never thought it would strike while I was there! I ran over to it, expecting it to fly off when it saw me charging, but it didn't. I actually pulled it off the chicken -- one hand on the hawks belly, the other on my hen. The hawk let go, flew up into an overhanging branch about 10 feet above me, and did not leave until I threw pine cones at it. However, after that encounter, it never bothered my chickens again. (I have found this to be generally true with predators: scare off once, and they don't waste energy on my chickens again)

The hen was fine, by the way. Had a small wound which quickly healed.

Absolutely. Resident, adult hawks are usually leery of humans, but young, migratory or extremely hungry hawks are driven by their instinct and appetite.

Off the chicken subject a bit..... a friend of mine, while ice fishing had a pike stolen from him by a bald eagle, just a few feet away. Bird's gotta do what a bird's gotta do.....
barnie.gif

Quote:
Still off subject. There is a man made lake about 5 miles from my house. It is stocked with lake trout. If fishermen 'horse' an undersized fish to the surface, it's swim bladder will rupture. The bald eagles are aware of this fact and circle the lake hoping that they will be able to snag one of these injured fish. Smart and adaptive. Sorry for the hi jack.
hide.gif

Yes - had it happen! It was within 30 feet came in and grabbed a chick. I watched him/ her go to a near by fir tree and eat it. The hawk flew less then 90 yards away to eat it in front of me. How did I know it was 90 yards? Because it got lasered I needed to know the exact distance! It's nature was eat my bird. It's my nature to make sure it doesn't happen again.
wink.png

The one thing I did find that works well is to put up a fake hawk on the barn and on a fence pole and it keeps the newbeeis at bay. The fly around, see them and move on. It works pretty good. And the chickens just got use to them.

Two cents!!!

Last edited:
Definitely! My dark Cornish hen looked like she'd been scalped. DH thought she got tangled in the rosebush, I said it must have been a hawk because it was such a clean cut. A few days later we were standing about 5 feet away from her when the hawk attacked again. My Cornish rolled the hawk and it never came back.

Our first week at our new house in the country, she had 5 attempted hawk attacks while I was just a few yards away. I couldn't believe it! They leave her alone now. I think the hawks don't like losing feathers and having a chicken attack them!
lol.png

Shelly

Yes! Was walking one day to check on my birds and one had a young rooster on the ground eating him. He just looked at me and went back to eating. Gave me time to get my .22. Came back and he started to fly. Too late. He was less than 15 feet from me when I put two into his chest. And, yes, I had already notified The wildlife agency, and was within my rights to kill him.

Back
Top Bottom