will he become The Man?

carolinasculpture

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2010
Hi All! I read up some on this and found conflicting stories so I decided I'd try my luck and see if there was any more definitive ideas out there. In the spring of 2010 we got our first chickens. We purchased 7 pullets from our feed store and have raised them in our living room before finally moving them out the their coop and approx. 8'x16' temporary run which stayed temporary for a little longer than we had anticipated. Anyway, they are great and we love them, but needed just a few more eggs. So this spring we purchased 2 more pullets and one straight run Polish, which is, of course, a male. Well, we finally got the new run (50'x50') ready, but I decided to wait to put anyone in it until the new chickens were about 3 months old. I always put the "little chickens" in first so that the new chickens would "think" that the new place came with these new birds. We did this for several days with increasing times together with no issues. The big girls chase the little ones off from time to time, but they have plenty of room and there haven't been any altercations or injuries, just a chase now and then and they have all started to sleep in the same roost. SO, now to my question: our little roo (now about 4 mos) has been crowing for a little while now, but still runs from the big girls. Is it possible that as he matures, he will take over the flock? If so, is there anything I should be on the look-out for? About how old would he be when he might start moving up the ladder? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

It is not unusual for a flock of adult hens to really beat up an immature rooster. He wants to be the man but they tell him to grow up first. They are not consistent about this. Some flocks will accept a young rooster without a big problem. Some are pretty vicious about it. But eventually he matures and is usually accepted as the flock master. It's probably just a matter of time with yours.

When will this happen? No telling. I've had roosters as young as 15 weeks be accepted as adult by the grown hens. I've had roosters quite a bit older get no respect.

Thanks! At least so far they haven't been beating up on him or the 2 younger hens. So far the only one who really chases them is the one on the "bottom of the ladder" as it now stands. We'll just give them time and hope that all continues as well as it has been going! PS, lived in Ten Mile, TN for several happy years!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom