1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

will he die???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kane, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Kane

Kane Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    South Haven
    My cock has a problem. When he breaths, he seems to sigh. Well, now its more of a gasp. I think he has respatory disease. Now it is so bad, he can't even crow. He is 5 1/2 months old. He eats Amish powder corn and store bought cracked corn. This has been going on for about a month. O have been treating him like a sistic fibrosis patiant, patting his back and chest. Will he die or can I save him???
    [​IMG]

2. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:Sounds saveable to me. Try some anti-biotics.

3. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    Some better nutrition might help, too.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Doesn't sound like a good diet to me. No idea what "powder corn" is, but if it's dusty, he's probably gagging on it. Corn is not a complete feed for chickens, roosters or hens, either one.

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:That's exactly what I was thinking. It sounds like it would produce a lot of dust which isn't good for their respiratory systems.

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    This sounds more like a dietary issue than a life/death situation. Talk to us about "powder corn". We are not familiar with the term. Could you clarify?

A diet high in corn is not sufficient for animals to live on. Corn is high in sugar, which makes it delicious...but like most delicious things, it should be used as a treat and not as a staple. A balanced diet of chicken pellets is a better feed choice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by