Will he survive?

Pics
Well he has two strikes against him if he can’t fly he’ll most likely be killed by a predator and since you’ve been caring for him he hasn’t been taught how to find his own food. Why not try and find a wildlife rehabber an surrender the duckling so he has a good chance of survival when time comes. Call DNR vets or zoos they maybe able to refer you.

Well he has two strikes against him if he can’t fly he’ll most likely be killed by a predator.

He won't be able to fly since he'll be only six weeks old and not fully feathered yet.

He doesn't have a flock, so he possibly won't even be able to sleep, since he'll have to lookout for danger alone. Normally when ducks sleep the ones at the edge will keep the outside eye alert. He'll need both eyes alert all the time to avoid danger.

I am in the rehoming camp here. Domesticated birds and animals have a real disadvantage in the wild. I don't know how you ended up with a duckling you wont be able to care for in the long run, but now that you have taken it under your wing, you really need to follow through with a good home. I understand you cannot keep it, but I'm certain someone in your area will take it in, or as has been mentioned a rescue center.

I am in the rehoming camp here. Domesticated birds and animals have a real disadvantage in the wild. I don't know how you ended up with a duckling you wont be able to care for in the long run, but now that you have taken it under your wing, you really need to follow through with a good home. I understand you cannot keep it, but I'm certain someone in your area will take it in, or as has been mentioned a rescue center.

I'm guessing the reason the OP can not keep the duckling is that it is a wild bird not a domestically hatched bird. Legally wild birds/animals can not be kept without the proper licenses.

I'm guessing the reason the OP can not keep the duckling is that it is a wild bird not a domestically hatched bird. Legally wild birds/animals can not be kept without the proper licenses.
I didn't even think about that. Then a rescue center is the only option. When I worked at the Humane Society we often took in a squirrel or bird to rear and reintroduce to the wild, but the people who did that never handled them at all. I think it would be very hard to do it with one that has been handled, but I know there are people who do this sort of thing and love it. I hope you can find that, Duck Mommy 2019. Where are you?

Back
Top Bottom