Will Hens go broody without Tom?

blissdragon

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 5, 2010
Viroqua, WI
I know that they will lay infertile eggs without him, but will they also go broody?
If so, I plan to have them sit on fertile eggs acquired elsewhere... They do a much better job raising poults than I do. Thanks!

Yes that is what I mean. I don't have as much experience with turkeys as chickens but I'd like to share this story. A friend had a couple hens she never bothered to break. One would stop on her own occasionally but the other never stopped.
When my friend finally decided to check on her after well over a month of being broody, the hen couldn't move on her own. After over $2,000 of vet bills and extensive physical therapy, the hen still couldn't move and died.
Just like with chickens, an elevated wire bottom cage with no bedding does the trick quickly if done early enough.

Last edited:
Yes, I have had the experience of a turkey hen searching for a nest, any nest to replace her nest which I took from her after discovering all the eggs were rotten or dead (she sat in her secret nest in a far pasture through some major storms and her eggs were caked in dried mud). Then hen wouldn't stop trying to steal other nests for at least a month. Thanks for your reply!

Back
Top Bottom