Will her broodiness break when i steal her chicks?

PunkinPeep

Songster
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
SouthEast Texas
Since my chickens have started laying, i have rarely been without a broody. But usually i let them set and raise their chicks.

This time, i've sold the chicks. I just took away one and two day old chicks from my broody mama (it was kind of stressful and emotional) for my husband to deliver them to the buyer.

Now she's outside clucking around and all puffed up but with no one following her. Will she go back to producing? I always assumed she would, but then now i just wonder.

What should i expect? She's not going to jump back into the nest box to brood again, is she?

I have had 2 go back to normal, one go right back to sitting on eggs, and one start laying, get depressed, and croak.
roll.png

Not much help to you, but I would bet without the chicks around, she'll go back to normal soon enough.

Oh dear! That's not what i wanted to hear at all. Thanks though!

Hopefully they'll (i have another one to hatch and have her chicks stolen later this week) go back to normal.
fl.gif

I just did that with a broody, she is off the nest and acting normal after a week but still no new eggs from her.

Back
Top Bottom