Will hot wire injure hens??

RRA

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 12, 2009
Monticello, Arkansas
Just met my first predator, an opossum that found its way into the yard (but not the coop) this morning. I've heard hot wires are good at detering predators but can I run it during the day with the hens out? Will I wind up with fried hens?? I'd rather not take more "permanant" measures next time the critter pays a visit.

If you run yor hot wire on the outside of your posts and chicken wire on the inside, you chickens should not be able to touch it. You can get insulater extenders to increase the distanc between the chicken wire and the hot wire.

As long as they do not touch it, they will be fine!

I had a chicken hit my electric fence once as I had forgotten to turn it off before letting them out to free range. My daughter and I were sitting there, quietly talking...heard the loundest squawk/bawk we have ever heard! She went flying right past our heads carrying on loudly. My daughter asked, "Did you turn off the fence?" Turned out nope. But it didn't hurt the chicken.

Now if you were to run the true hot wire with voltage/amperage that will kill, them you are going to have a problem (dangerous as all get out as well). But I think you are speaking of a typical electrice fence.

Would not be any different than the predator touching the wire. Chicken hits the wire-- big squawk, maybe a few feathers flying.

It will put the move on any predator, I have never lost a chicken protected by electric fence.

i would make sure it is not where the birds can touch it. I had a geuine hen earlier this year get in our pigs fence and she died there. when we found her she had her wings wraped around the fence.
sad.png

I am glad to see this post! I just ordered an energizer & wire to go around my duck pens. I only plan to have it on at night, but the pens are chain link & I'm worried they'll reach through and grab the wire, or just hit it accidentally. I guess I need to run hardware mesh (I've been planning to do that anyway) or at least chicken wire around the inside.

I'm glad also to hear the comment about not losing poultry that are protected by hot wire--my pens are fairly predator proof, but every once in a while a clever critter will work out a weak spot and get through. I'm adding the hot wire to try and deter predators from even *trying* to find a weak spot. Glad to hear it will probably work.

I'm planning to run it at fox-nose-height (we have a lot of foxes)--does that sound about right?

I run my electric fence about 6-9 inches from the chainlink fence on electric fenceposts. Works for chickens but might be a bit close for ducks. On the run fencing where I have chicken wire, I use the 4" plastic extenders to move the wire away from the fence. In a do over, I would go to the 6" extenders. I use 3 levels of wire, 6-9" off the ground, 18" and 4'. Grounding the system to the chainlink was the best as the ground is fantastic and no problem with dry earth not provifing a good ground. (This will be in your instructions) The ground extends to the chicken wire as it merges with the chainlink at two corners.

This way, if a critter hits any electric wire and natural earth, it is shocked if the ground is not too dry. No matter what, the shock between the electric wire and chainlink/chicken wire is substantial.

Thanks for all the advice! I haven't seen the critter since our first encounter but as I'm sitting on about 6 wooded acres I expect more action as winter comes on and food sources grow scarce.

Back
Top Bottom