Will I ever get an egg??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jencleg, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    I have a 9 1/2 month old silkie pullet, a 7 month old bantam cochin pullet, and a 6 month old barred rock pullet....I am told by my husband that the reason is because I am trying to use all the medicated chick feed that we bought before I go buy the layer pellets. I totally understand that (now I feel like an unfit chicken mama) but is that the only reason? Or are they just still too young? Also I have a 7 month old bantam cochin cockerel that has not made any "advances" on his girls...when will that start?? Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  2. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    I defintely think that you should switch the feed to an egg layer type feed. I once wrote an article about how to fix a group of hens that are not laying eggs. http://www.purelypoultry.com/not-laying-eggs-ezp-44.html

As for the rooster not advancing, Is there a dominant female that is keeping him away from his ladies?

3. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    The barred rock pullet is a a lot bigger than the others & she tends to be bit brute-ish [​IMG] . She picks on the smaller cochin so she may be the problem. Thank you, I will get the new feed this weekend.

4. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    We have a Polish hen that has not laid an egg yet and she is 8 months old. And we have a RIR who started laying too early and has prolapsed twice. I think I prefer the late layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by