Will I get good meat birds out of this confusion?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Groceryjunkie, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Groceryjunkie

Groceryjunkie Out Of The Brooder

For hens we started with RIR's, leghorns, orpingtons and barred rock and the roo's in the mix are white rock and dark brahma.
    I have a variety of different eggs in the incubator from this mess and am wondering if we will be hatching out some good meat birds in a couple of weeks???

I also have Jersey Giants and Austrolorps confined seperately by breed in hopes of raising purebred birds for sale or should I just throw them into the mix as well?
    Then what would I get???

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    With a mix like that, there's just no way to tell what you're going to get.

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I'd say that you are most likely to get mutts.

The reason for breeding purebreds is that you know what you will get. If you breed mixes, you don't know what you are going to get. It's a surprise.

But yes, you will get some nice eating birds. You can eat any chicken. They all taste like chicken.

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    well sure you'll get mutts, that's what cross breeds are. As for meat birds, well as someone said all birds are meat and you can eat them. What you're going to get are cross bred laying breeds which you can eat if you wish. If you want "meat birds" from what you have watch the chicks you get and reserve back the fastest growing biggest birds to breed back to each other next season. Do that for a few years and you will get somewhere ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by