Will i get more eggs??

Johnn

Crowing
8 Years
Sep 5, 2011
I have 2 Buff orpingtons who are 2 and a half years old, a Buff Orpington who is 33 weeks old (just started laying a week or two ago), a Ancona bantam who is 1 and 3 quaters years old, 2 mixed breeds who are 1 and a half years old, 3 ex batts 2 are 7 (i dont expect eggs off them although i sometime get some off them) and the other is 3 in June. I check for eggs every 2 days and i get 2 eggs. They are fed on Layers pellets and abit of mixed corn, they have oystershells and grit and are wormed and dont have lice. Will i get more eggs or am i getting what i should expect??

Are they free range? If they are, they might be hiding nests, if not, I'm not sure what to say... My chickens are free range, and I need to do what I call an "easter" egg hunt every few days, because not all my girls lay in the nest boxes. In fact, I have one of my MG/B girls sitting on a clutch of 14 eggs under a pile of scrap lumber in our barn. Took my almost 2 weeks to find her nest. :)

I'd bet when they days get longer and the weather warms up you'll be getting alot more eggs. My girls aren't even a year old yet, and I'm getting 1-2 eggs a day. Its that dredded time of year when the hens go on vacation....
Nikki

They are free range but im almost sure they arent laying away because its really wet so it would be hard for them to find nesting ground. Thanks for the replies :)

You wouldn't believe where I've found some of my girls' nests! One lays under the floorboards in the tack room in the barn, one lays in the nest box, a few lay in one corner of the coop on the floor, like I said earlier, one nested under some lumber in the big barn, I've found nests in the tall grass against the barn wall, nests in the tall grass on the edge of our field... they'll lay anywhere they think is protected. Funny little things. :) Then I've got my Indian Runner girls (ducks) that will lay either in the coop, or just random spots in the middle of the yard. It's an egg hunt every day! :)

Back
Top Bottom