Will I know it when my hens molt? +

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by plc, Nov 25, 2011.

1. plc

plc Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    We have had our four hens since June...I have not noticed them molting..[​IMG]

Could somebody maybe post pics of molting hens??

Thank you!!!

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    It is still to early for your hens to molt, but I promise that you will know when they molt. My big clue was all the feathers in the coop. That and your chicken will look like it was mauled by a pack of Yorkies. [​IMG]

3. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Yep, the big molt looks like someone blew up some feather pillows in the coop. [​IMG]
    I have some that going through it right now, poor things look rough.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

OP - if your girls were chicks in June, they most likely won't molt this year. My older girls began molting last month through this month. Three just look a little rough, they lost their tail feathers and look like they're "having a bad hair day." If you part feathers, you'll see lots of quills poking through. One girl though, had a hard, fast molt. She looked like a dog with a horrible case of mange, bare, white/pinking shin showing through in large patches. I usually don't take pictures of my chickens while molting...lol. But I did take a picture of Dixie this year, after her quills finally started coming through. Most molters don't look quite this rough, but there are some who look worse. She had a hard time this year:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. corgiscatsandchickens

corgiscatsandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    Gallifrey
    Quote:[​IMG]

I'm laughing so hard at the pics, I'm crying! Poor, sweet Dixie! So glad you posted

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by