Will I really get Ameraucanas?

sunkistfarm

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 2, 2010
I ordered some Ameraucanas from McMurray due to arrive on a week. Will I be sent Ameraucanas or EE"s? If they advertise them as such don't they have to send the actual breed?

They will be EE's I dont "think" any of the hatcheries carry true Amaracaunas...SOmeone else pipe in if Im wrong PLEASE:)

I ordered some from cackle hatchery thinking the same thing....and they are definately EE's..I was so disapointed as a newbie...but since then I've learned alot...EE's are very pretty though. It just makes me mad how many people order them thinking they are getting a pure bred and then end up with something else. I am hoping to find a breeder next spring that I will be able to buy some chicks from. With that said..my EE's are very sweet and pretty, and should lay a nice variety of colored eggs.

Quote:
EE's are awesome--I have a few myself from mating true Amaracaunas to other roos-there are many folks on BYC that sell live chicks and fertile hatching eggs for true Amaracaunas-

Same thing happened to me thought I was getting a true breed and got EE`S but they are nice birds and do lay the blue eggs at least most of them do some are a light rose color or light green.I lkie the variety of colors in the EE`S that was one of the reasons I ordered I wanted some color in my pen.

Quote:
This is the actual description from McMurry ~ if you note they do not spell Ameraucana correctly and use "Easter Egger Chicken" to describe them.

Araucanas/Americanas The "Easter Egg Chicken", This unusual breed gets its name from the Indian tribe of Chile where they were first discovered. Araucanas lay beautiful colored eggs of blue-green shades from turquoise to deep olive. These natural Easter Eggs will amaze your friends and make a great "show and tell" project for school. Adults are of medium size with pea combs and our breeding stock is selected for their ability to produce colored eggs. They exhibit a wonderful combination of colors and color patterns and 10 or 20 of these birds make an absolutely beautiful laying flock that is extremely hardy and will be the talk of the town. Baby chicks come in all colors, plain and fancy, just like the adults. This is a unique breed and great fun to have when the colored eggs start coming. Our Araucanas are recommended for egg laying color and ability and not for exhibition.

I have both Ameraucanas and EEs and like them both ~ EE's are "Like a box of chocolates ~ you never know what you are going to get"!​

Last edited:
Sorry, you're getting EEs
smile.png

Mine are from McMurray too, they were advertised as "Araucanas" in the store where I got them. Pretty much any hatchery Araucana/Ameraucana will be an EE, though you could theoretically luck out and get the right gene combination I guess. Actual Ameraucanas are relatively rare and you'll generally only find them from a breeder. I think they can get away with calling them Ameraucanas because they share that same gene, the line is blurred there so I don't think it's the same as say, selling a pure RIR as a Red Star.

One thing I can guarantee though, they will be cute! I have 3 EEs of different colors and they're just beautiful birds, they really add a lot to the flock. This is one of mine, who started out as a pale yellow chick:
55198_tender1.jpg

(The other two started out like little chipmunks and now have the classic EE patterning and fluffy cheeks).

Newbie here as well and did the same thing:

Local Blue Seal listed Araucanas/Americanas and I ordered two along with my keets. They are both very
nice, and already can see the fat cheeks coming in! I'm sure I won't be disappointed in my EasterEggers!

Back
Top Bottom