Will ivermectin kill gapeworm?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by buckabucka, Apr 18, 2012.

1. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Three questions: Will Ivermectin pour-on kill gapeworm and/or mites?
    How long will it take to see results?
    For most parasites, I should re-dose with Ivermectin in 10 days? (I've never used it before).

If you want to read the whole long drawn-out story that brought me to these questions, you can read below:

Our 2 year old hen has been sick for 6 days.
    Totally listless, does not like to open eyes, will not eat (occasionally will drink), shakes head, occasionally gapes and/or breathes through mouth.

I thought she was dying and anemic from being covered in mites (which we did not discover until she became sick), but I wondered about gapeworm.

Yesterday, she would not even drink, and I decide to treat with Ivermectin pour-on, as I read it would take care of mites, as well as gapeworm. We forced some fluids as well.
    About six hours after treatment, she had a resurgence and started eating and drinking on her own, even walking around looking alert, and then she crashed ( we bring her in the house in a cage at night). This morning, she will not eat again, and is gaping a lot.

After a bunch of reading, I see I can test for gapeworm with a swab, which I would like to do when I have a helper here. I'm also getting a lot of conflicting information. One person says that Ivermectin does not kill mites or gapeworm, others say it does. I read fenbendazole kills gapeworm, but even if I confirm diagnosis, I shouldn't treat with 2 drugs on an almost dead hen, correct?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  3. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Thanks, dawg!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by