Will layer feed hurt 6 wk old chicks for a couple days?

TRALALARA1

Songster
Mar 3, 2022
Oklahoma
Just a quick question. Will eating layer pellets for just a couple of days hurt my 6 wk old chicks? I’ve run out of chick starter/grower feed and won’t have money for more feed until after the first. I don’t really have any other choice.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 4AB75DAF-8599-4E54-947A-F5A46DF0FF76.jpeg
    4AB75DAF-8599-4E54-947A-F5A46DF0FF76.jpeg
    504.9 KB · Views: 33
Just a quick question. Will eating layer pellets for just a couple of days hurt my 6 wk old chicks? I’ve run out of chick starter/grower feed and won’t have money for more feed until after the first. I don’t really have any other choice.
Thanks in advance!
They will be fine for couple days

Thanks in advance!
I think they’d be fine. I’ve had to do it in a pinch before too.

I just came here to say you might consider wetting the pellets down but looks like that's been said! I have fed pullets layer feed before (in fact I think they're on some now because I mixed flock raiser with layer to get theasr of it in the bin for storage). It won't hurt them especially for a couple days. All my grown hens prefer crumble so last time I accidentally bought pellets I ended up having to wet it down for the spoiled brats

Yup, fine for a couple of days. If they are pellets you can crush or soak them. I little bit of warm water mixed with the feed to make a mash often sorts the problem of strange feed out if they are reluctant to eat the layers feed.
They were a little confused at first but then dove right in. They are eating machines!!! I ended up with 18 chicks from my hatch. That’s a lot of feed!

Back
Top Bottom