will layers lay in the heat

Hi,

The weather hasn't been all that warm here but my hens are slowing down anyway. It seems they are either going broody or molting and that is costing me a lot of eggs. Maybe some of yours are doing this and it's just not obvious yet? Good luck!
smile.png
Genie

going broody, heat and just a bad day will effect your eggs. i as well live in north west tennessee. i medicated mine so i cant save eggs til thursday, my luck is that they will be at the end of their spring laying by the time they are safe to keep.

End of their spring laying? OK, I thought they only laid off in the depths of winter. . . .do they quit in the summer too? thats what im wondering

I agree with the one poster. We have our coupe under an oak tree for shade purposes, living in central FL.

On the inner side of the coupe we have a door that comes off compltely and is screened behind it. That way in the summer they recieve extra ventalation without compermising safety and protection from the weather!!

We also give them a small make shift tent they like to hide in during the hotter part of the day and extra cucmber and melons. It helps to keep them cool.
D.gif

My hens lay all year long. Even hatch out babies in the dead of winter/summer outside and they all do fine. It is in the 100s here today and I just brought in my eggs for the day. All the hens laid one. Have to get them quick or they start to incubate in the heat!

Last edited:
I'm in NE Okla. Temps in the 90s and heat index 100+.

Our 10 girls only laid 3 eggs yesterday but today I've gotten 7 so far.

I put ice in their water and DH is buying a mister today. Their coop is well insulated, they have shade in the hottest part of the day, although we may need to add a tarp too, and there's a fan in the coop. I don't know what else to do to help them cope with the heat.

I told them if they didn't want to lay an egg in this miserable heat, that's OK - I wouldn't either.
lol.png

Edit: 8 eggs today! What troopers they are. I'm giving them the day off tomorrow.

Last edited:
Quote:
That's how I feel every time I go out to the coop and see the poor girls laboring in this heat. Makes me want to pack my nest boxes with shaved ice. Poor things.

Back
Top Bottom