will layers lay in the heat

Quote:
I understand that eating and digesting corn heats up their bodies and will make them uncomfortable in the heat. I'm more likely to feed some corn during the winter months.

Quote:
I understand that eating and digesting corn heats up their bodies and will make them uncomfortable in the heat. I'm more likely to feed some corn during the winter months.

Apparently this is a complete myth. It has endured for many many years, and most poultry people, even the experts, believe it to be true. But... the argument against the myth goes something like this:

Corn cannot produce 'heat' in the body of a chicken. No food can actually do that. The issue is that corn is a high energy food, and is therefore useful in winter when the hens burn more calories simply keeping themselves warm. In summer it is not a useful addition to their diet (they need less calories and will eat less during the warmer months) and will only lead to weight gain, and fat hens! Corn is not able to behave like a fossil fuel!

Am I right or did I imagine that?

As to why they aren't laying, excess heat can definitely reduce egg production, through dehydration. If the hens are not hydrated enough (ie they are using their bodies' supplies of fluids to keep cool, through watery droppings, under-wing transpiration and panting) they won't have enough fluid to create the egg whites. Therefore, laying will drop off until the weather gets a little cooler.

Ensure plenty of cool water, lots of shade, and good ventilation in the coop, and you've done all you can to keep them comfortable.

Certain breeds of chickens will do better in the heat than others. If you have the heavy feathered breeds like BO that Might be a reason. Everyone worries so much about the cold weather but does not think of these hot days of summer. Exstremes in weather will effect any animal. So when it is real hot and real cold expect egg laying to drop off it is normal.

We just had a couple of hot hays here in the UK (not hot by US standards, only about 25C, but the heat here is humid, and it's always a shock to both humans and our animals when it happens - we're simply not used to heat and sunshine!) and my BO has missed both yesterday and today. She's visited the nestbox on both days at around 10am, but come out an hour later 'empty-handed'.

She's usually very consistent, laying for six days, getting gradually later in the day up to about 4pm, and then missing a day, before starting again at 8am the following day. This is the first time I've ever known her miss two straight days.

I was worried she might be getting egg bound or even broody, but after a quick once over, I'm pretty certain she's healthy and behaving normally in every other way. So it must just be a bit too warm for her.

This is perfectly normal, so don't worry.
smile.png

I got 13 eggs yesterday from 13 hens. My daily average is now at 9. The heat index was like 110. I think some breeds just do better in the heat.

Back
Top Bottom