Will leaving eggs in the nest encourage broodiness?

ArekE

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 21, 2014
Hi, i got no broodies except one this year and im just wondering if i let the eggs build up will it encourage broodiness? Also i have a black sex link that just stands in the nesting box all day she doesnt growl is she sick? Maybe thinking about going broody?

What breeds do you have? Some breeds just never go broody as a result of selective breeding, like sex links and leghorns (usually they never go broody, but it does happen rarely as you can see from my avatar) while some you can't get to stop, like silkies and cochins.

Yes, as @Pyxis said, it is largely going to depend on your breed(s) and then each individual hen. If you have a hen or hens that might be inclined to go broody, then it is possible that letting the eggs collect might encourage her to want to brood.

Oh god i should post you my frizzle cochin/pekin she just lays one egg then goes broody and would hatch that one lonely egg if i let her! She has gone broody six times this summer and i dont want (or need) any more babies, good luck with yours ! :) she went broody on a golf ball a few days ago sooooooo annoying for me :(

We have orpingtons, wyandottes, cochins, polish, a russian orloff, barred rocks, RIR's, some sexlinks, and two light brahmas. 1 of the light brahmas is a bantam. And the other one i think thought about it one day.

Well out of those, orpingtons, cochins, and brahmas are all very broody breeds. How old are they? Usually they aren't going to go broody during their first year.

Oh god i should post you my frizzle cochin/pekin she just lays one egg then goes broody and would hatch that one lonely egg if i let her! She has gone broody six times this summer and i dont want (or need) any more babies, good luck with yours !
smile.png
she went broody on a golf ball a few days ago sooooooo annoying for me
sad.png
lau.gif
I have 2 cochin bantams like that. And they will NOT break no matter what I do with them. So I always end up giving in and letting them have a couple or three eggs. The last one I gave 5 LF duck eggs from my ducks and she did a fabulous job. The ducks don't need mothering any more so I expect her and the other one to go broody again any time now.
tongue.png

Well out of those, orpingtons, cochins, and brahmas are all very broody breeds. How old are they? Usually they aren't going to go broody during their first year.
I guess that just proves to me how stubborn my two little cochins are.
th.gif
They both went broody not more than 2 months after they started laying and have been like clockwork since. The only time they seem to give over is when it gets cold. When it bothers me the most is when they are wanting eggs to sit on in the middle of the Texas summer. Silly birds.

The orpingtons, standard light brahma, RIR,s and sex links are over a year the rest are about 8 months.

yes if u let the eggs in the nest it have 60% more chances to go broody im speaking from experience but keep in mind chickens like private hidden places so make sure everyone have a nest for her self but there are some types of breeds that doesnt have pronlem with the nest they go broody even if there are laying 10 chickens and 70% depends on breed hope this answers your question

Last edited:
Not in my experience, chickens sometimes will sit on their own eggs if you leave them there.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom