Will Lice kill my show hens

orpington123

Chirping
Apr 6, 2018
I have recently invested in a large fowl pair of white Wyandotte’s. I bought them knowing that they had quite a bit of lice. I’m treating this at the minute. The hen has lost quite a bit of feathers and the rooster isn’t in pristine condition either. I’m a good judge rod the hens and they are show quality. Will the missing feathers grow back when the lice are killed ? Thanks in advance
63EB3464-60B3-48A2-A8D8-9E06D21A078C.jpeg

I have recently invested in a large fowl pair of white Wyandotte’s. I bought them knowing that they had quite a bit of lice. I’m treating this at the minute. The hen has lost quite a bit of feathers and the rooster isn’t in pristine condition either. I’m a good judge rod the hens and they are show quality. Will the missing feathers grow back when the lice are killed ? Thanks in advance View attachment 2226605
Beautiful birds, what are you treating the lice with?

The feathers WILL grow back.. but possibly not until molt and maybe not in time for your next show.

Lice will NOT kill a standard bird with good nutrition that is being taken care of. Lice are a nuisance that many keepers who allow their bird to range outdoors will face at some point in their en-devour, unfortunately.

Best wishes in your adventures! :fl

Beautiful birds, what are you treating the lice with?

The feathers WILL grow back.. but possibly not until molt and maybe not in time for your next show.

Lice will NOT kill a standard bird with good nutrition that is being taken care of. Lice are a nuisance that many keepers who allow their bird to range outdoors will face at some point in their en-devour, unfortunately.

Best wishes in your adventures! :fl
I’m treating the hens with lice powder and power washed out the henhouse and treated it with the powder and a mite and lice spray. They have dustbaths and I was think of putting diatomaceous earth in it too. The shows in Ireland aren’t resuming quite yet and I don’t mind missing a few if it means I get the birds back to having a nice plumage. Thanks 😊

They have dustbaths and I was think of putting diatomaceous earth in it too.
Diatomaceous Earth is not effective or welcome at my place.. here on the coast with humidity always high.. DE is irrelevant.

Using the powder and sprays that have insecticide of some sort IS the most effective and safe way to get rid of parasitic infestations.. I'm ALL for organic and natural IF and when they work.. but when it comes to things like this.. best not to mess around. That's why I asked because many folks will treat with DE which MAY be a false sense of security. Be sure to follow through with any repeat treatments according to the directions.. in order to completely disrupt the life cycle AND prevent any resistance being built to your product by follow up hatching generations.. and you should be good. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom