Will lone goose be OK?

cozycritters

Songster
11 Years
Mar 4, 2008
Tucson, Arizona
We had a horrible night a while back in which we believe a stray cat got into our goose pen and killed most of our goslings and ducklings. Now we only have one little goose and three ducklings.

Is raising Toot alone going to be a problem? S/he is always with the ducklings, but I worry that, in maturity, this might mess with his/her head? I would love to get a companion for Toot, but my DH is not a fan of geese and, so, is less than willing for us to get an orders worth and fill up the yard again.

Toot is a great little goose and takes care of our little ducklings... is he going to be ok being the only lonely goose?

Our neighbor had that happen to her....If your lone goose is a male, next year during breeding season he will try to breed your ducks and will hurt them. The goose should be fine with the ducks until then.

I have no clue whether Toot is male or female, actually... S/he's an Embden and about four weeks old
smile.png

I would check on craigslist or local feed stores for another gosling. that way you dont have to get a full order from a hatchery. we got ours last yr for $13/ea this year theyre only $10. that way you could get one thats not a whole lot younger than the one you have already. The goslings here seem to hang out at the feed store for a while so you very well could find one his/her same age to toss in with them.

good luck.

We have the same problem here. We ended up getting Angel the goose a little girlfriend angelina. Angel was getting a little aggresive and biting people. I always think that they need a companion.

just my 2 cents worth.

I had a male african growing up that was a lone goose. He did fine by himself, but I spent at least a few hours every day with him. I never had a problem with him bothering my ducks. But I'm sure all geese are different. This is just my experience..

Back
Top Bottom