Will male Cornish X Rocks fight? And will they crow before 8 weeks?

Codeno1

Hatching
9 Years
Jan 13, 2011
Hello all. I am on my 2nd batch of X Rocks (females). I am considering getting males this next time around to get a larger finished product. My 2 concerns are as follows... Will they fight? Will they crow? Clearly I do not want them fighting or to house each bird individually. That is my primary concern. But at the same time I don't want 25+ crowing roos in my back yard either. I am also considering straight run if this is a preferred method. Any advise is appreciated.

Eric

We haven't ever had one fight (other than the posturing that all young chickens do), or crow before processing time.

Mine are 5 weeks and a couple are crowing. By crowing I mean that creaking door practice crow. They reach sexual maturity quickly I guess. This is my third batch. They dont fight. They have two driving purposes in their little lives- eating and sleeping. Anything that takes away energy from that, they dont seem inclined to do. (I would argue that pooping is their other reason for being but they probably wouldn't count that.)

The crowing isnt loud by the way and they don't really do it much.

Thank you both for the quick reply and advise. I will go with males this next time around. I do have 1 more question for you. Heat. I live in Fl and my rocks are panting like crazy today (93 deg) and I'm a bit worried since I know they can be somewhat delicate. I have a fan blowing through the coop on low but they are either afraid of it or are unaware of it's benefit. Thayer are all huddled outside in shaded areas. Is this a big concern?

Not leaving you out Katy. You posted while I was typing! Lol. Thank you too!

Mine do the play fight puff up and charge thing with my other chicks, but they don't fight fight, where one gets hurt.
smile.png
Mine are about 7 or 8 weeks old now (and HUGE! It's about time to eat them!) and my cornishx cockerel hasn't crowed yet. We have them free ranging with our grown layer flock, including a mature rooster, so that might have something to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom