Will moving hens make them stop laying?

Ariel301

Songster
10 Years
Nov 14, 2009
Kingman Arizona
I was planning on ordering some chicks from a hatchery in a few months and raising them, but yesterday I saw an ad on craigslist about some chickens for sale...I called the number and found out a lady here is getting rid of the last of her mixed breed Easter Eggers at $3 apiece since she's sick of just watching the coyotes dig under her fences and eat them. I'm going to go pick up the last few left tomorrow, four hens and a rooster! She says some of them are half banty, so they are small, but they lay good, and the eggs are blue and green, and that's what counts for me!

I've never bought adult hens already laying, just chicks. Will moving the hens to a new home possibly make them stop laying for a while, or should they just keep going like normal?

Actually, my EE laid for a few days and then quit. It was several weeks before she started laying again but then I got an egg a day. Good luck with your new birds!
welcome-byc.gif

My neighbor has just bought a new barred rock pullet. Roxy laid an egg in the car on the two hour drive home, and has carried on laying every day. Guess it depends on the temperament of the bird.

I brought home 2 Black sex link hens, that had stopped laying due to stress (dog attacked & killed Flock mates). They weren't here 3 days and were laying for me.

This is my experience too. We have just rescued 2 chickens (don't have any others) and they have stopped laying. We're patiently waiting. One hen is happy as a lark, one won't come out of the coop into the pen. Any ideas there?

Our flock started with 2 hand-me-down hens and one stray that had taken up with the neighbor's dog (it really was cute to watch, but they didn't appreciate all the . . . . . fertilizer!)
All three layed the next day, we rehomed them in the evening. But, I think they each felt like they went from so-so living situation to having it pretty great. A warm, dry coop with fresh bedding and nest boxes, a big, safe run and of course, some "welcome to your new home" treats
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom