1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will moving hens make them stop laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ariel301, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I was planning on ordering some chicks from a hatchery in a few months and raising them, but yesterday I saw an ad on craigslist about some chickens for sale...I called the number and found out a lady here is getting rid of the last of her mixed breed Easter Eggers at $3 apiece since she's sick of just watching the coyotes dig under her fences and eat them. I'm going to go pick up the last few left tomorrow, four hens and a rooster! She says some of them are half banty, so they are small, but they lay good, and the eggs are blue and green, and that's what counts for me!

I've never bought adult hens already laying, just chicks. Will moving the hens to a new home possibly make them stop laying for a while, or should they just keep going like normal?

2. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    From my experience they will either stop all together or slow way down. When they get comfortable in their new surroundings they will pick back up. Good luck!

3. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    I have heard that by moving hens who are laying may stop for a few days once moved, this is normal. Once they are adjusted to you and your place they will go back to laying!

4. Jonathanq1

Jonathanq1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Delaware
    They have all stopped for me, then picked back up a couple weeks later.

5. loralei

loralei Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    New Caney, Texas
    Please quarantine them before adding them to your flock. I've just read so many horror stories. I want your story to have a happy ending with lots-o pretty colored eggs!

Laura

6. lavacaw

lavacaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    South Central Texas
    Actually, my EE laid for a few days and then quit. It was several weeks before she started laying again but then I got an egg a day. Good luck with your new birds! [​IMG]

7. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    My neighbor has just bought a new barred rock pullet. Roxy laid an egg in the car on the two hour drive home, and has carried on laying every day. Guess it depends on the temperament of the bird.

8. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    I brought home 2 Black sex link hens, that had stopped laying due to stress (dog attacked & killed Flock mates). They weren't here 3 days and were laying for me.

9. jennymay

jennymay Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2009
    This is my experience too. We have just rescued 2 chickens (don't have any others) and they have stopped laying. We're patiently waiting. One hen is happy as a lark, one won't come out of the coop into the pen. Any ideas there?

10. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Our flock started with 2 hand-me-down hens and one stray that had taken up with the neighbor's dog (it really was cute to watch, but they didn't appreciate all the . . . . . fertilizer!)
    All three layed the next day, we rehomed them in the evening. But, I think they each felt like they went from so-so living situation to having it pretty great. A warm, dry coop with fresh bedding and nest boxes, a big, safe run and of course, some "welcome to your new home" treats [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by