will my 2 hens stop laying if i get a new one

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by frizzylizzy2003, Nov 30, 2014.

1. frizzylizzy2003

frizzylizzy2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2014
    okay so we've only had our chooks for 4-6 months and my mum said that i could get a new chicken[​IMG] (an easter egg layer) IF our other ones don't stop laying[​IMG] so that's what i'm asking basically - also we've just come back from a 3 week holiay and we came back to broody chooks (when we left we had 3 and we came back to 2) so any ideas where our other one might have gone - we live in a bushy area and cannot find her our friends said when they came over earlier that day there were 3 but she went wondering off and i'm worried sick- so in the comments could u suggest where hens mostly wander off to thanks guys - also are "easter egg" layers good producers??? also we got 'em from a hatchery and we live in tasmania - australia

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Hi and welcome!
    If your chooks were not in a secure enclosure in your absence, the most likely answer is that your third bird has been taken by a predator, not wandered off. If she was, indeed, broody she would have been settled on her broody spot and that lessens the likelyhood that she simply wandered away (unless she was in the early stages of broodiness and just choosing a spot in which to brood - in which case she *may* have found a new, hidden place in which to brood. IF she has sought a new brooding location you are going to be hard pressed to find her as those broodys are quite sneaky about finding a very hidden place (by design). You were gone for three weeks, how far into brooding her eggs was she? After three weeks, if the eggs she was on were fertile she'd be off raising chicks.
    As to the effects of integrating a new bird into your flock - that is not something that can be predicted with certainty. Any time you have a disruption to the flock there is a chance it will effect production.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    An additional thought on the disruption concern your mother has - if the two birds you have remaining are, indeed, broody they are already experiencing a disruption in production as a broody hen stops laying.

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Welcome, it does sound like your loss is due to a predator. Make sure you protect the others. Good luck on getting the new one.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Ol Grey Mare X2 Either she was taken by a predator or she wandered off and is broody in some secret location. She may turn up with chicks at some point. All you can do is go looking for her and some signs of feathers that possibly she got eaten. When ever you leave your birds alone for extended periods of time, without being locked up, things do happen. I sure hope she turns up soon!!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So sorry, I hope she turns up alive and well

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

I'm sorry for the loss of your chicken! My first guess, unfortunately, would be that she got taken by a predator. Broodiness is also possible, however.

I've had one Easter Egger. Mine has been a good producer, though not quite as good as my Wyandottes.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about your chicken. [​IMG]X2 on Wyandottes7.

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

10. frizzylizzy2003

frizzylizzy2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2014
    thanks guys your help is greatly appreciated - and thanks for answering so quickly[​IMG] i have put my other 2 hens - broody- in cages so fingers crossed[​IMG]
    it was most likely a predator - but my friend said that there were 3 earlier that day so we're giving it a few days

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by