Will my Broody Hen accept store bought chickens?

Yes, but keep a close eye on them all for the first couple of days to make certain that she's not a bad broody. If she's good with them, they'll be fine under her. If she has chicks, she'll leave the eggs.

From my experience, she hasn't been sitting long enough to accept them. You can try but watch carefully. I tried once with mine and she attacked the chicks.
I was thinking the same thing, but forgot to say something. Let the hen sit a little longer first. Don't worry about the chick's age, I had a broody accept a 7 week old chick before.

Man mine must be butts because she wouldn't accept my week old chicks after sitting for 24 days.
Wow. What breed? My hen was an American Buff Orpington. I got a 7 week old Barred Rock pullet thinking that I could throw it in with my 6 week old chicks and their mother attacked it. Thankfully I had another hen, American Buff Orpington, who was broody (I almost think she might only been broody for a week, but not sure) and I slipped the chick under her. That hen instantly adopted the chick, and raised it as if she actually had hatched it.

Wow. What breed? My hen was an American Buff Orpington. I got a 7 week old Barred Rock pullet thinking that I could throw it in with my 6 week old chicks and their mother attacked it. Thankfully I had another hen, American Buff Orpington, who was broody (I almost think she might only been broody for a week, but not sure) and I slipped the chick under her. That hen instantly adopted the chick, and raised it as if she actually had hatched it.
She's a production blue,which they shouldn't even be going broody but so far 4 out of the 5 have gone broody multiple times and they're only 2 years old.

I have found that the broody needs to have been sitting for at least 2 weeks before they willingly accept chicks from the store.

Some never accept chicks no matter how long they have sat.

If giving a hen chicks and she is on eggs that are not within a day of hatching the eggs should be pulled and thrown away. She will need to get off the nest to care for the chicks so developing eggs are likely (almost guaranteed) to die.

Back
Top Bottom