Will my broody's egg not hatch if it was in the cold for the afternoon

NHchicks

Songster
May 13, 2010
New Hampshire
My broody has an arrangement with at least one other hen, sometimes 2, who come and use her nest to lay in while she jumps off and takes a bath or whatever. When they're done babysitting, she goes back on her nest. The only thing is that sometimes they roll eggs around from one to the other in the change of guard. So today I saw that one of the fertile eggs (there are only 5 fertile eggs, marked by crayon, I have no rooster so I bought those) was sitting in the empty nest next to Ms. Broody. I rolled the egg back to her and she quickly pecked it under her feathers, but it had been out for a few hours anyway, and it's in the low 50's here today.

So might that egg still hatch, or is it a goner? Like I said, I only have 5 hatchables to begin with for that broody, as the other eggs are infertile w/no rooster around.

my broody abandoned her nest after 4 hatched a couple days ago, they were cold most of the day/night before. i stuck them under the other broody hen and poof! i hadda baby the next day.

Oh good! Thank you!

I just love broodies.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom