Will my chickens ever lay?

TSC carries Chicken Kicken.
It is oil with vitamins and minerals added.
Mine love it.
When I serve up their fermented feed I add it and give it a little stir to incorporate throughout. They love it.
I guess the fermented feed, Oats, seeds. Brown sugar, Bragg's apple cider vinegar with the mother in it, yeast and then it makes a mish mash is a big draw but that last bit of adding the oils with vitamins and minerals can not hurt.

I have been busy getting the numbers down bc I am getting ready to go back through the ringer and get the other knee replaced, that fall really did me in. My husband has enough to do and now has hurt his old back, and helping me taking care of my chickens,.. I need to get the numbers down. I have given away to neighbors to the point that when they see me that start saying no, no, no more chickens. My husband says no more. My wife says no more.
You get the picture but really all I want to say is hi, sometimes. Buy they start with no more chickens. Any day now I expect to see them with a cross up at me as I drive by and wave.
I have posted Phoenix Bantam pairs up for sale on Craigslist but will give away to chicken lovers on backyardchickens.com near SWVirginia.

Wow. Good luck getting rid of the chickens!

So I am new to having chickens ( My husband is not but I want this to be mainly my thing..lol)

My sister ( who never wants anything to do with the outdoors) got 6 chics the beginning of last spring. I think she thought it would be fun for my younger niece and nephew. But as the chicken grew bigger the fun went away and when they got no eggs she realized she didnt want them anymore. She nor my brother in law never really cared for the chickens, they would go several days without feed or water. and slept in a VERY small cage all crampped together. There was maybe 2 square feet of run for them.

So I convienced her to sell me her 6 hens. My husband and I spent all weekend building a very nice coop and a really big run. There are 6 nesting boxes, 2 perches and plently of laying feed and water for them.

So my question is, Any idea when I can expect them to start laying? Is there any feed better than the other that I can feed them? Right now I cam feeding them Dumor chicken laying crumble.

Any advice will be greatly appericated.

Thanks

I can't say for sure when they will start laying, other than spring, but I do know that if you continually switch foods or even the make-up/mix ratio it will take longer. Of course the amount of daylight and temperature will also be determining factors.
By the sounds of it their development would have been slowed. That will also have it's effects. They probably need more protein.
I encourage you to get grower feed and add to their egg layer feed till they gain some mass. Or you could feed them fish or rabbit.
Oops. I guess that would also depend on the breed.
I hope this is useful.
Keep me posted.

Thanks so much everyone for the awesome information. I am happy to announce that when I went to the coop tonight to shut everything up and refill the waterer. There was an egg in one of my nesting boxes that wasn't there earlier ! I don't know who it's from but i was doing the happy dance!!!

see it depends on everything...for example my one year olds stopped laying and are begining their resting period of not laying during the winter....however the ones i got this season are just now starting to lay...and now since my youngest ones are laying the older ones started laying again...i feed as much as they can handle i keep the large container full all of the time and they stop when they wanna stop and eat when they need....also if you want them to lay you can put a wooden or fake egg out there and leave it and this will encourage them to lay...also when they first lay it will be a smaller egg and the egg size should get bigger within the month or following so dont panic if they come out small first ..their bodies are getting used to laying also...get ready for some double yokers...it will be a huge egg...so have fun and good luck with everything..please make sure to watch my thread...down below in blue...its dedicated to my grandfather..

Last edited:
see it depends on everything...for example my one year olds stopped laying and are begining their resting period of not laying during the winter....however the ones i got this season are just now starting to lay...and now since my youngest ones are laying the older ones started laying again...i feed as much as they can handle i keep the large container full all of the time and they stop when they wanna stop and eat when they need....also if you want them to lay you can put a wooden or fake egg out there and leave it and this will encourage them to lay...also when they first lay it will be a smaller egg and the egg size should get bigger within the month or following so dont panic if they come out small first ..their bodies are getting used to laying also...get ready for some double yokers...it will be a huge egg...so have fun and good luck with everything..please make sure to watch my thread...down below in blue...its

Hello! You have some beautiful birds. What kind of birds are the one's in the photo above?

Two of my hens are 28 weeks old. One started laying at about 25 weeks, and the other one, an EE has yet to lay. I realize that some hens might be late bloomers. I'm in FL so it's not that cold and we still have a quite a bit of sunshine. I also have a light on a timer in their coop that comes on early in the morning before the sun comes up. So what the latest it could be before she lays an egg? Any tips or ideas?

see it depends on everything...for example my one year olds stopped laying and are begining their resting period of not laying during the winter....however the ones i got this season are just now starting to lay...and now since my youngest ones are laying the older ones started laying again...i feed as much as they can handle i keep the large container full all of the time and they stop when they wanna stop and eat when they need....also if you want them to lay you can put a wooden or fake egg out there and leave it and this will encourage them to lay...also when they first lay it will be a smaller egg and the egg size should get bigger within the month or following so dont panic if they come out small first ..their bodies are getting used to laying also...get ready for some double yokers...it will be a huge egg...so have fun and good luck with everything..please make sure to watch my thread...down below in blue...its dedicated to my grandfather..
I love those yellow birds!!!

Hello! You have some beautiful birds. What kind of birds are the one's in the photo above?
they are red golden pheasants...dont forget to watch and follow the little farmer that hopefully can...my grandfather recently passed and im dedicating to him..hope i can make him proud..he inspired me with plants and animals and i never got to show him how much i can apply myself and now iam trying my best...to be the little farmer that can

Last edited:
they are red golden pheasants...dont forget to watch and follow the little farmer that hopefully can...my grandfather recently passed and im dedicating to him..hope i can make him proud..he inspired me with plants and animals and i never got to show him how much i can apply myself and now iam trying my best...to be the little farmer that can

I'm sure your grandfather is very proud of you. You have beautiful birds. I was looking through your thread with all your great photos and your fabulous project. I wish you the best of luck.

its been a pleasure to be able to show people how much one person can do if they put their mind to it....so stay tuned tommarow for the update...i cant wait...byc has been a great way for me to stay busy and channel my thoughts for people to see different ideas and to give my input for people and to listen to peoples ideas and use them when needed....so i hope i have helped people in one way or another and hope i can continue to inspire people to be little farmers....night

Back
Top Bottom