Will my chickens ever lay?

chicnewbie6

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 1, 2014
Stafford, Virginia
So I am new to having chickens ( My husband is not but I want this to be mainly my thing..lol)

My sister ( who never wants anything to do with the outdoors) got 6 chics the beginning of last spring. I think she thought it would be fun for my younger niece and nephew. But as the chicken grew bigger the fun went away and when they got no eggs she realized she didnt want them anymore. She nor my brother in law never really cared for the chickens, they would go several days without feed or water. and slept in a VERY small cage all crampped together. There was maybe 2 square feet of run for them.

So I convienced her to sell me her 6 hens. My husband and I spent all weekend building a very nice coop and a really big run. There are 6 nesting boxes, 2 perches and plently of laying feed and water for them.

So my question is, Any idea when I can expect them to start laying? Is there any feed better than the other that I can feed them? Right now I cam feeding them Dumor chicken laying crumble.

Any advice will be greatly appericated.

Thanks

My oldest two are 23 weeks old today and have not yet laid. I am in Maryland, so my daylight is pretty similar to yours. As it is moving into winter, if I get any eggs, I will be pleased, but I am not expecting things to get rolling until spring.

I think the advice given is sound. Feed them well and make them comfortable, and they will eventually do what they were born to do.

Happy trails!

If they were starving, then they're malnourished, and they won't lay until they become healthy again. Also, they are going through an adjustment period getting used to new living quarters. That delays laying. And last, but not least, if you're in the northern hemisphere, daylight is in short supply so they won't lay until the days get longer again.

How old are they? Have they ever laid eggs? If they have never laid eggs, don't feed them layer crumbles until they start. They do not need the extra calcium until they do.

I'm so glad you rescued these chickens. They will hopefully reward you with eggs ans well as affection.

Can't they lay at a normal pace instead of faster? I don't like feeding them layer feed. They need a break every once and a while.
You don't *have* to feed layer ration at any point - many of us, myself included, do not use layer feed with our flocks as we prefer to feed the higher protein grower rations (ie flock-raiser) which is better for mixed flocks (young birds, males, females that are not actively producing eggs due to molt, age, etc) as the issue of kidney damage from the higher calcium content of the layer feed is not an issue with this feed program. If one chooses not to use layer ration, simply provide free choice calcium supplement (oyster shell, egg shells, etc) for the birds who ARE actively producing eggs and they will take what they need/want at will with the rest of the birds having little to no interest in it.
Layer feed in and of itself does not cause production of eggs -- the layer ration is simply used to provide the calcium birds need to produce shells for and expel eggs that their body does produce. The birds will be laying at a "normal pace" with or with out the layer ration provided their diet is sufficient to support production.

Last edited:
The layer feed won't necessary 'hurt' them in the short, but just the same I recommend a non-calcium fortified feed like chick starter/grower or an all flock feed until they actually start laying... I actually don't use a layer feed at all since I have a mixed flock and the calcium can cause health issues to the males....

As for a light if you want that won't hurt, but do it safe... I recommend an under the cabinet fully enclosed florescent light on a timer... Have it come on about 14.5 hours before sunset in your area (so 2:30am) and go off whenever you open the coop for the day or at say noon if you know you will always let them out before noon, adjust the timer every 2-4 weeks as the sunset changes... Doing it this way they will return to roost with the natural sunset...

Also it's best to only increase light about about 20-30 minutes a day, but since you birds are not laying anyway it won't really hurt much to bump them up faster...

http://lightsofamerica.com/Products/7000.aspx
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Good-Choice-24-Hour-Lighting-Timer/17279123

Last edited:
I have a 9 month old that has not layed a egg in her life , I bought 3 chicks other two are faithful layers
any ideas on this problem

I certainly hope the chickens starts laying soon. But she will only when she is ready, all the bribing and petting them in the world will not help.
I know how it feels to wait and hatch them and lovingly care for them month by month and some start laying at 4 months, then 5 months and 6 months but when they reach 7 or 8 months I start to worry if I misread the chicken and it really might be a roo and then she starts to deliver and the eggs keep getting bigger and the shells get harder and then the big girls start putting out eggs that had to hurt and they are double yolks... Remember, good things come to those that wait and these girls really work hard for us. I reward mine with some mornings with chopped apples in warm oatmeal mush when the weather is exceptionally cold in the mornings Yes, All 200 of them.

Last edited:
Hi,

Nest eggs or fake eggs don't work for me until my neighbor told me about a white golf ball. Now my 10 chickens are laying eggs like crazy. Try a golf ball and it has to be white. Don't put one in each box just 2, one in 1 box and the another in another box. One more tip chickens don't lay that many eggs in winter as they do in many other season. It has to be warm, don't cover there coop too much. They like the sun light to keep warm. They like outside not closed in. Can your chickens walk outside in the coop? Are you giving them calcium? Without calcium they can't lay strong egg shells. Ask the pet shop people which one to get, calcium for chickens. And do you by food for egglaying chicken food, I buy organic egglaying chicken food. Give them a little more time they'll have eggs soon. Have old are them?

Gloria

Hi,

I thought about putting a light in the coop. My friend does that, but somehow I figure that if nature wants the hens to take a break, then who am I to force laying. I was worried that the pullet took so long to mature, but from what I've read her timeline is not unusual. I am getting a few eggs now that the days are longer. My hens are more pets than farm animals. Sure, some day they will have to go to freezer camp, but for now they have names and they lead quite a nice life.

Thank you for the reply. I do appreciate reading about other chicken owners' experiences with/without light and with/without heat. Also, it helps to know about feeds affecting laying.

Give them time and they should start laying, as said above when you combine, lack of proper care and nutrition, a move, shorter light hours and cooler weather the chickens will naturally slow down or stop laying and/or in your case delay the onset of laying... You also might want to consider putting the layer feed aside and putting them back on a starter/grower feed, as they don't need the calcium supplements in layer feed until they are actually laying... Even if you are feeding them calcium fortified layer feed once they start laying, offer a side of oyster shells so they can choose if they need more calcium on an individual basis...

Back
Top Bottom