Will my chickens ever lay?

My old hen finally started laying at 49 weeks. Ironically, I think she had some kind of low-grade respiratory infection that was preventing her from laying. I saw her sneezing for a couple of days, so I treated her with Tylan + Oxytetracycline for 7 days. On day 5 of her treatment, she laid her first egg. Perhaps it was just a coincidence, but now I'm wondering if late layers have something else going on regarding health.

Hi All,
I was given chickens about a week ago. When I was given them 3 of the 4 were moulting. I have switched to a high protein diet (they were mainly fed on fruit/veg and pellets previously). 2 of 4 have full feathers now and 2 have regrowth. Given that they are older (approx 3-4yrs), would you say they are likely to lay eggs? It is Autumn here atm. I am considering adding two younger hens to the flock as there is plenty of room.

Yes, once they recover from using all of their energy to molt your chickens will lay but not as many eggs as a Spring chicken would in her first 2 years.

It is Spring here in New Jersey. Since I do not put a light in my henhouse the girls (ages 3 - 4) take a natural break from laying through the winter. Apparently they appreciate the break because my 6 aging hens are laying 5 - 6 eggs per day every day!

Be very careful about adding to your flock. This website has the best advice and excellent guidelines to help you safely navigate the murky waters of flock dynamics. Last May I was given a pullet. She looked fully grown but had not begun to lay. It took all Summer and well into the Fall to integrate her into my little flock of 5. Now everything is peachy keen but the first few months were not easy.

Now - silly me - I'm contemplating adding 2 more pullets because I have the room and I love the Buff Orpington breed. Am I the "crazy chicken lady"? Probably.

Best of luck with your new little flock. If you want to see my hen house, my coop is here on the site titled Southern New Jersey Cluckingham Palace.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info. I'll have a squiz at your site :) I am happy to give them the break they need. I might have to reconsider adding any new hens until after winter. The coldest it gets here is around 12 degrees celsius, so quite mild and still 12 hours of light. I have two little boys who have have been going to check the coop daily with bucket in hand ready to collect eggs, so it will be a big day once they do lay again! haha

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom