Will my chickens ever lay?

Hi,

I thought about putting a light in the coop. My friend does that, but somehow I figure that if nature wants the hens to take a break, then who am I to force laying. I was worried that the pullet took so long to mature, but from what I've read her timeline is not unusual. I am getting a few eggs now that the days are longer. My hens are more pets than farm animals. Sure, some day they will have to go to freezer camp, but for now they have names and they lead quite a nice life.

Thank you for the reply. I do appreciate reading about other chicken owners' experiences with/without light and with/without heat. Also, it helps to know about feeds affecting laying.

We enjoy just about the same climate as I am in southern NJ. I'll keep your timeline in mind as I talk to my girls about getting back to work. One of the older hens is laying 2 eggs a week now. The youngest laid her first egg on New Year's Day and lays 3 or 4 per week. The next to youngest started to lay this week with 1 egg.

For everyone who helped me with suggestions and information - THANK YOU MOST KINDLY!!

On New Year's Day the RIR pullet Emma Jean laid her first egg. I'm very proud of her.

The older hens have not yet started to lay again. I don't use supplemental light or heat which means I wait for nature to take its course.

The hens do have a nifty new home which I will document on BYC in the near future. My husband designed and built the coop and run to replace the small coop I'd purchased on Craigslist for $25 and the small run that DH had added to the coop for our first two pullets.

In the Spring I will start new chicks. The new run is designed to be able to be split into 2 runs and my DH built a broody coop that breaks down flat for storage when I don't need it.
woot.gif

Grats on your new layer!

I have a 39 week old Easter Egger hen that has yet to lay an egg. I also have a 28 week old Buff Orpington and 3 28 week old Andalusians that have not laid any eggs.

I'm in Central Florida, so it really hasn't gotten that cold here, although we've had a few days where we got into the low 30's. I also have a light on a timer that comes on in the early morning and goes off once the sun comes up.

I have 5 other hens that are laying fairly consistently. Any tips or ideas on what else I can do? I know that some hens can start laying around 4-6 months, but what's the oldest a hen can get to be before she lays? This is my first flock, so I'm still learning as I go. Also, my rooster has mated with at least 2 of the 5 that aren't laying. I thought he would only do that with hens that are ready to lay eggs.

I have a 39 week old Easter Egger hen that has yet to lay an egg. I also have a 28 week old Buff Orpington and 3 28 week old Andalusians that have not laid any eggs.

I'm in Central Florida, so it really hasn't gotten that cold here, although we've had a few days where we got into the low 30's. I also have a light on a timer that comes on in the early morning and goes off once the sun comes up.

I have 5 other hens that are laying fairly consistently. Any tips or ideas on what else I can do? I know that some hens can start laying around 4-6 months, but what's the oldest a hen can get to be before she lays? This is my first flock, so I'm still learning as I go. Also, my rooster has mated with at least 2 of the 5 that aren't laying. I thought he would only do that with hens that are ready to lay eggs.

I'm new at this also. Five hens all born around March 15, 2014. Orpington lays regularly even through the cold winter we have had. Started laying about nine months old. EE started about six months old consistent layer, Aussie started about seven months and lays regularly. Wyandotte I may have gotten one egg from her a couple of weeks ago, but not sure. I'd say she is not laying yet. Brahma still not laying (I was told they will lay at ten months) She is almost a year old. I put a light on in shed in late afternoon (mainly so I can see to put them to bed). It's not on for more than a couple of hours. They get up around 9 a.m. I threaten them regularly with a warning that the non producers will be invited to dinner, but they just talk back to me and laugh that little clucky laugh!

My Barred Rock crosses finally started laying at about 40 weeks!, they haven't missed a day since and we are having a terrible winter here, nothing above freezing during the day for weeks. My coop is insulated and I have a heat bulb in it even though I wasn't going to do that, my husband decided it was just too cold for them! I had almost given up on them ever laying but one day it just happened.

I would just not worry if I were you, they will lay eventually and you will do that little dance of excitement as we all do
big_smile.png
Good luck and enjoy that first egg!

I'm new at this also. Five hens all born around March 15, 2014. Orpington lays regularly even through the cold winter we have had. Started laying about nine months old. EE started about six months old consistent layer, Aussie started about seven months and lays regularly. Wyandotte I may have gotten one egg from her a couple of weeks ago, but not sure. I'd say she is not laying yet. Brahma still not laying (I was told they will lay at ten months) She is almost a year old. I put a light on in shed in late afternoon (mainly so I can see to put them to bed). It's not on for more than a couple of hours. They get up around 9 a.m. I threaten them regularly with a warning that the non producers will be invited to dinner, but they just talk back to me and laugh that little clucky laugh!

Just went out to put them to bed and found a shell-less egg. So one of the 11 month olds is finally starting to lay; the Wyandotte or the brahma to be determined! Appears white in this picture, but it's a yellowish orange color.

I have 1buff Orpington, 1 speckled sussex and I RIR and they are all 20weeks old today. I know that they are in the earlier stages of egg laying expectancy but I'm getting so impatient! :) I want them to start laying so bad I check the coop multiple times a day lol there combs and wattles are definitely getting darker especially my RIR, her comb is super red, but my sussex is still just starting to turn red. I'm thinking my RIR Scarlett is going to be my first , fingers crossed
[/IMG]

I have 1buff Orpington, 1 speckled sussex and I RIR and they are all 20weeks old today. I know that they are in the earlier stages of egg laying expectancy but I'm getting so impatient!
smile.png
I want them to start laying so bad I check the coop multiple times a day lol there combs and wattles are definitely getting darker especially my RIR, her comb is super red, but my sussex is still just starting to turn red. I'm thinking my RIR Scarlett is going to be my first , fingers crossed
[/URL]
I have a lace Wyandotte one year old still not laying.

Back
Top Bottom