Will my chickens ever lay?

well morning...it snowed so I hope I can still dig in the ground for the last few coops...got a bunch of eggs this morning heres some pics....17 eggs today

I'm in NJ and have 5 hens and 1 RIR pullet. No eggs since August when molt began for the hens. The RIR was hatched May 15th and has not laid.
Oddly the hens' combs never returned to red after the molt and I see no sign of parasites. The RIR is nicely red but has not laid.

The main feed is Purina Layena. A tray of scratch with meal worms and lettuce keeps the girls out of the coop while I clean. Since I live in a development, I clean daily.

The hens have quite a lot of run and a 4x4 ft coop with roosts, 2 nest boxes, feed and fresh water. I do not heat the coop nor do I have a light. I much prefer that the hens live as much with nature as is possible being that they are cooped up.

I'm in NJ and have 5 hens and 1 RIR pullet. No eggs since August when molt began for the hens. The RIR was hatched May 15th and has not laid.
Oddly the hens' combs never returned to red after the molt and I see no sign of parasites. The RIR is nicely red but has not laid.

The main feed is Purina Layena. A tray of scratch with meal worms and lettuce keeps the girls out of the coop while I clean. Since I live in a development, I clean daily.

The hens have quite a lot of run and a 4x4 ft coop with roosts, 2 nest boxes, feed and fresh water. I do not heat the coop nor do I have a light. I much prefer that the hens live as much with nature as is possible being that they are cooped up.

Don't give layena until all hens are laying and you have eggs; too much calcium for non laying chickens and rooster. Use "all poultry" feed with oyster shell offered continuously near the feed. It's your safest bet if you continue to keep a rooster, and for the hens until they are all laying. I'm a transplant from NJ; been in NC for the last 15 years.

My experience has given me the following opinions
1.chicken breed-- my buffs have been laying many eggs for many weeks but my EE who is one week younger has us waiting for our first colored egg..
2. Pecking order, anxiety and mental well being comes into play. Low chicken in the pecking order with the tendency to sound the false alarm, is always worried about being trapped,pretty girl that I would label as a spook.I worry that the fear of entrapment could keep her out of the nesting area.I am learning a lot about family and friends by observing my girls--drama oh yea we have it. Favorites who compete for attention yep the winner in that category is Snuggles always first up on my lap. You may need a Chicken Wisperer

Hi, I got my first flock at the beginning of May this year, they were born in March, they were 2 barred rock crosses and 3 Ameraucana's and hadn't even started laying until about 10 days ago! I also got 4 Red hens of unknown breed in October, 2 were a year old and supposed to be laying although starting/finishing a molt. There were also 2 young reds not yet laying.

After waiting and much gnashing of teeth and wailing, I finally started seeing eggs about a week and a half ago, first 2, then 3 and right now we are up to 5 a day, my theory is that the Rocks are laying as are some of the Reds...still waiting for the pretty Ameraucana eggs, but just thrilled that I'm getting any eggs at all as I had despaired of ever finding them, I was getting so fed up going into the coop day after day, week after week....only to be greeted with tumbleweeds
big_smile.png

I guess my advice is just to be patient even when you don't feel you can any more, because...oh my!, that first egg is such a thing of beauty
wee.gif

A very Merry Christmas to you and all the other fellow BYC'ers

I will rectify the feed to Flock Raiser until the hens begin to lay again and the pullet lays.

The girls have free-choice grit and oyster shell all the time with lots of fresh water, greens and a few treats.

I don't keep a rooster. In my neighborhood I keep only 6 hens and am grateful that the neighbors like my girls.

The hens have no stress such as over crowding or not enough roosting space. Their only "problem" is not being able to free range unless I am outside to protect them from the hawks that nest across the road.

Hi,
Try putting a white golf ball in there egg laying box, they think it's a egg. It worked of me.

Gloria :)

Hi,

I have a nest egg in the box already. Nothing seems to be working. Perhaps as the days get longer? My new coop has a window to allow sunlight in from dawn to dusk. In the Spring I will take the tarp off of the run and there will be more light.

I worry that the 5 hens have grayish combs since the start of molt. I have seen no sign of parasites, I have the cleanest coop in the county and my hens are very healthy.

thanks!

Hi,

Nest eggs or fake eggs don't work for me until my neighbor told me about a white golf ball. Now my 10 chickens are laying eggs like crazy. Try a golf ball and it has to be white. Don't put one in each box just 2, one in 1 box and the another in another box. One more tip chickens don't lay that many eggs in winter as they do in many other season. It has to be warm, don't cover there coop too much. They like the sun light to keep warm. They like outside not closed in. Can your chickens walk outside in the coop? Are you giving them calcium? Without calcium they can't lay strong egg shells. Ask the pet shop people which one to get, calcium for chickens. And do you by food for egglaying chicken food, I buy organic egglaying chicken food. Give them a little more time they'll have eggs soon. Have old are them?

Gloria

Back
Top Bottom