Will my chickens get their feathers back?

lhousesoccer

Chirping
Feb 26, 2010
Hi - this is the first winter for my 11 chickens. We're totally snowbound with nearly 4 feet and they don't like going outside. They spend all their time in the coop, and this has resulted in them pecking each other alot. Right now, they look like rats with wings. Their butts are bare, and some have bare spots on their neck and breast.

Will these feathers grow back?

Mine are doing the same thing.I'm sooo up set as my beautiful BLRW from fowleys is missing all her neck feathers now
sad.png
.. I really hope they grow back, she is very sweet and I paid a lot of money for her .. I'm hoping that they will molt then re grow all the feathers back.. I did trim the beak of the worst offender but I think I was a little late. They have lots of room and do go out on sunny days...

Last edited:
Feathers do grow back. If there feathers are getting ripped out of their backs .You can put a chicken saddle on them .They also have wing protectors.They protect them when there molting,and when the rooster tears them out with his nails. They also protect against pecking.I found a good web site for chicken saddles.http://www.louisescountrycloset.com/

They'll grow back. Feather picking is not uncommon for bored chickens. Sometimes, to keep the chickens from being too bored, people hang treats from the ceiling (such as lettuce and apples) just out of the chicken's reach so that the chickens will have fun jumping to snag bites of the food.

for coop bound birds we found that a " Purina Flock Block" helps cure boredom. we since have had a decrease in picking. It's a feed block compressed with molasses

Back
Top Bottom