Feathers never grew back after a year!

OwlsHootBarn

In the Brooder
Oct 31, 2023
I’m hoping someone can help give advice or tell me to stop worrying! Over a year ago my ‘then’ free range (now in fenced yard) chickens were attacked by a dog.
Two suffered the most with flesh eaten. I followed all the typical advice …separated them, dressed the wounds, etc.
After a week both were very much wanting to go back to the flock (6 in total).
The older bird starting healing quickly …but the younger never did grow back feathers. She wears a saddle all the time to prevent pecking but I really hate that she has to wear it.

It’s been over a year! No feathers. There is one spot that is somewhat thick and scabbed looking. She seems content and totally fine running out to greet me every day looking for treats.

Is it still possible to have her feathers grow in or will she live out her life in a ‘saddle’.

Also I’m worried about the cold and frostbite … does anyone know of ‘down filled saddles’ to help keep her skin warm?

Hello and Welcome to BYC. Glad to have you here with us in this poultry lovers community. I suggest that you ask around in your local area for a quilting club about someone who could sew up one with a batting liner in it. A mini quilt. It wouldn't be hard to make. Is the current saddle irritating the skinned area possibly keeping her feathers from regrowing? There are people here that may have better answers so please don't give up hope.

I’m hoping someone can help give advice or tell me to stop worrying! Over a year ago my ‘then’ free range (now in fenced yard) chickens were attacked by a dog.
Two suffered the most with flesh eaten. I followed all the typical advice …separated them, dressed the wounds, etc.
After a week both were very much wanting to go back to the flock (6 in total).
The older bird starting healing quickly …but the younger never did grow back feathers. She wears a saddle all the time to prevent pecking but I really hate that she has to wear it.

It’s been over a year! No feathers. There is one spot that is somewhat thick and scabbed looking. She seems content and totally fine running out to greet me every day looking for treats.

Is it still possible to have her feathers grow in or will she live out her life in a ‘saddle’.

Also I’m worried about the cold and frostbite … does anyone know of ‘down filled saddles’ to help keep her skin warm?
Will you get some pictures of her back?

Hello and Welcome to BYC. Glad to have you here with us in this poultry lovers community. I suggest that you ask around in your local area for a quilting club about someone who could sew up one with a batting liner in it. A mini quilt. It wouldn't be hard to make. Is the current saddle irritating the skinned area possibly keeping her feathers from regrowing? There are people here that may have better answers so please don't give up hope.
It doesn’t appear to be but I’m going to check on getting something made with a wool liner! Maybe on Etsy!

Back
Top Bottom