Will my chickens use these nesting boxes?

Ruby Rogue

Free Ranging
Mar 31, 2020
Atlantic Canada
My permanent coop is in construction and I'm trying to figure out how to make the space for the nesting boxes work. I plan on having an outdoor hatch to access the eggs but I only have a small space between 2 studs to build the boxes...

The photo represents the space (from a top view)...and the blue squiggly lines are like...curtains. With a curtain at the entrance. Will my hens walk through these curtains to find their preferred nesting area?

I think it's foolish and a strange setup but I don't want to build any boxes outside. But if they will use them it might actually be awesome.

Attachments

• NOTABLE-00015.jpg
    NOTABLE-00015.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 9
My permanent coop is in construction and I'm trying to figure out how to make the space for the nesting boxes work. I plan on having an outdoor hatch to access the eggs but I only have a small space between 2 studs to build the boxes...

The photo represents the space (from a top view)...and the blue squiggly lines are like...curtains. With a curtain at the entrance. Will my hens walk through these curtains to find their preferred nesting area?

I think it's foolish and a strange setup but I don't want to build any boxes outside. But if they will use them it might actually be awesome.
I doubt it, but they might.
If you are building your coop, why not frame it out to have more conventionally designed nest boxes?

Ive had hens lay eggs in a bag of shavings! The twits.... LOL. At the time, I had 20 nesting boxes!
They will lay where you want them to, as long as they feel safe. Put a dummy egg or golf balls where you want them to go. You do not need curtains, but, if you just have to have them for looks, then tie them back so they can see where they are going. How many birds do you have? One box may be enough if you have fewer than 4 hens.

That drawing looks like my fish depth finder on my bass boat. I've never figured that one either but good luck with the layers!

It's already framed up, I'm just trying to figure out where to put things and maximize the usable space. I like the dummy egg idea, that may work. I have 3 pullets but I'm building for like...10 or so. There's no setup yet just a space.

This is what I'm thinking. Sorry for the dumb pics.

Attachments

• NOTABLE-00016.jpg
    NOTABLE-00016.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 6
  • NOTABLE-00017.jpg
    NOTABLE-00017.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom