Will my chicks be ok?

Mamatomany123

Crowing
Mar 14, 2020
West texas
I currently have 10 older hens and 4 5-6 week old chicks. The chicks and hens have been in the run with no problems. Our weather has been high 70s/low 80s. We were 85 yesterday. Chicks have been off of heat for about a week or so. We are 30 today and snowing (west texas weather for ya). Will the younger chicks be ok? Theure running around the run but not sure if I should turn on their heat source or leave them be.

I currently have 10 older hens and 4 5-6 week old chicks. The chicks and hens have been in the run with no problems. Our weather has been high 70s/low 80s. We were 85 yesterday. Chicks have been off of heat for about a week or so. We are 30 today and snowing (west texas weather for ya). Will the younger chicks be ok? Theure running around the run but not sure if I should turn on their heat source or leave them be.
I don't know, but 85 to 30 degrees in one day doesn't seem healthy.

I am no expert but if they are acting like they are ok then I would assume they are fine. But I live in Michigan so the weather is usually cooler here. If you are really worried you could set it up in the run as an optional thing but I would leave them be. Good luck!

I would make a fire-proof area to have a small draft free section where the chicks can choose to get out of the wind/snow and warm up with a very secure heat lamp. Or even a draft free area in the run, I know mine will only go into the coop at night, so during winter storms, I make a draft free area in their covered shed where they hang out all day.....even though the coop would definitely be warmer lol

In my opinion, 5-6 weeks is young to be in the cold/snow, especially if they were in the 70/80s for most of their life. But I am a softie chicken owner!

I would make a fire-proof area to have a small draft free section where the chicks can choose to get out of the wind/snow and warm up with a very secure heat lamp. Or even a draft free area in the run, I know mine will only go into the coop at night, so during winter storms, I make a draft free area in their covered shed where they hang out all day.....even though the coop would definitely be warmer lol

In my opinion, 5-6 weeks is young to be in the cold/snow, especially if they were in the 70/80s for most of their life. But I am a softie chicken owner!
They have a draft free space in the run. I actually did it for them to escape the bigger girls if need be. They also have a huddle box in the coop in case they choose not to roost. I'll add some heat in their box just in case.

Back
Top Bottom