Will my chicks be ok?

Mamatomany123

Crowing
Mar 14, 2020
West texas
I currently have 10 older hens and 4 5-6 week old chicks. The chicks and hens have been in the run with no problems. Our weather has been high 70s/low 80s. We were 85 yesterday. Chicks have been off of heat for about a week or so. We are 30 today and snowing (west texas weather for ya). Will the younger chicks be ok? Theure running around the run but not sure if I should turn on their heat source or leave them be.

I currently have 10 older hens and 4 5-6 week old chicks. The chicks and hens have been in the run with no problems. Our weather has been high 70s/low 80s. We were 85 yesterday. Chicks have been off of heat for about a week or so. We are 30 today and snowing (west texas weather for ya). Will the younger chicks be ok? Theure running around the run but not sure if I should turn on their heat source or leave them be.
I don't know, but 85 to 30 degrees in one day doesn't seem healthy.

I am no expert but if they are acting like they are ok then I would assume they are fine. But I live in Michigan so the weather is usually cooler here. If you are really worried you could set it up in the run as an optional thing but I would leave them be. Good luck!

I think they'll be ok. If you want, you can leave them inside or wherever you left them for 4-7 more days while they finish feathering out, but I think they'll be fine.
I brooded them in the coop but they did have heat before I slowly removed it. They hated being locked up after they got a taste of outside 😂

I would make a fire-proof area to have a small draft free section where the chicks can choose to get out of the wind/snow and warm up with a very secure heat lamp. Or even a draft free area in the run, I know mine will only go into the coop at night, so during winter storms, I make a draft free area in their covered shed where they hang out all day.....even though the coop would definitely be warmer lol

In my opinion, 5-6 weeks is young to be in the cold/snow, especially if they were in the 70/80s for most of their life. But I am a softie chicken owner!

My last two broods were moved out to their coops on 90 F degree days and two days later it was in the mid 40's F and they did fine with no supplemental heat. And they were only about three weeks of age. It hardens them up.

Back
Top Bottom