will my chicks ever like me?

12henfun

Songster
9 Years
Apr 16, 2010
Bath Twp
i try and handle them and they squirm and complain until i put them down, they flipout even when i go to feed them! will they always be thisway?!

The more you handle them, the more tame they will become.
wink.png

Think of their plight this way. They are caged, in a relatively small area (I'm sure your brooder has ample room for them, just trying to paint a picture here) and are very small themselves. We look like giants to them! Now how would you feel if you were trapped, couldn't run anywhere because there wasn't anywhere to go, and a giant popped its hand right down in front of you? You'd probably freak out, right? I know I sure would! So the first step in getting them to be more calm is to try and go slowly and be less scary or threatening. Try reaching down into the brooder slowly from the corners of the box instead of popping your hand right down into the middle. You also can try holding a little bit of feed in your hand and slowly open it once your hand is down in the brooder. Once they figure out that the giants hand actually brings treats or food, your hand will become much less threatening.

Last step, be patient! As they grow and mature, you will become less scary and they will learned that you aren't going to hurt them and will trust you. Some of them will probably end up being more friendly than others as well. It just depends on the birds personality, and yes! They all have personalities! Every one of them.
smile.png

the best way i have found is to sit on the floor at their level- say in the bathroom, or a sectioned off area, let them walk all over you, pick one up at a time hold it close to your face and murmur to it- there will still be squirming, but when they relax then put them down- this way they discover you aren't a predator...

My chicks also always hate me
roll.png
I dont usually make an effort to tame them though. They really come around when they are in outside pens and realize that it is me bringing the food and treats.

I think chickens are naturally skitish but we are in week four with our chicks and they are changing. My daughter routinely put her arm in the brooder with them from day one until they were two weeks old. We then moved them to our sun room where they have free run (tarp lined floor and constant poop pickup!). We sit with them for at least an hour a day and they actually fly to our laps to be stroked. Even our most flighty bird will now come up (and this is without treats) for a petting. The calmest ones are allowing us to stroke their tummy and they obviously enjoy it because they turn on their side with one leg outstretched and close their eyes. I wondered at first if they would ever calm down but with time and gentle handling, they are getting to be more like pets than I thought possible. Just keep trying and eventually you'll get good results.

My girls have been skittish since we first got them (a week or so old) from TSC. They are still pretty afraid of the hand but recently they have been settling down and a couple are warming up a bit. When I walk away from the pen they run to the edge to see where I am going or what I am doing. For some reason filling their watering can fascinates them and they get quiet and try to look to see what I am doing. I wish that I had more time to interact with them but there are only so many hours in a day.

Back
Top Bottom