will my chicks ever like me?

Quote:
Funny, My 3 little silkies are the flightiest of the bunch (1 1/2 weeks old) My BR is absolutely the mellowest and sweetest thus far (thus the name Lovey)
Have fun -
big_smile.png

I pet or handle my chicks 2 to 3 times a day. I have some that love it and a few that do not. I have found that if I take more than one out at a time they seem to calm down quicker and enjoy the petting and treats they get from me while being handled. I think gumpsgirl hit the nail on the hand with slow movements and I do not reach over the chicks heads. Boiled eggs gets them running to me everytime.
Good luck with your chicks.

Our oldest three (somewhere around a month/five weeks; Buff Orpington, Light Brahma, and an EE) all enjoy being picked up and 'petted' to various degrees. Two of them will willingly step up on our hands....the other is a bit more obstinate about it, but she still doesn't mind being held. Our newest two (Welsummers) are not quite two weeks old, and are still pretty skittish, but we spend about an hour with them, too. We'll sit down and let them sit on us and run around. They eventually calm down, start preening, and even fall asleep sometimes. I didn't think chickens were cuddly animals either, but I'm learning they do enjoy human company.
smile.png

Keep at it....there is some very good advice in this thread from folk with a lot more experience than I.

I have a range of responses by my chicks, but two of them, a cockerel and a pullet (don't know why it's divided like that), literally run to their roost and then climb on my offered hand. Of course, only one will fit, the one that doesn't get to climb on board then walks over and roosts on the cardboard "wall" that defines the brooder from the remainder of the bathroom. They'll both sit on my legs far longer than I can sit still, so I end up putting both back in the brooder, whereupon they proceed normally having had their "visit" with me. I must come in and sit down for this to happen, my height frightens them all, so I first sit on the floor (carefully cleaning up any gifts they've left outside the brooder, they come out and return at will now) to get them to relax and carry on their "chicken business".

So far, it's just those two, a few of the rest will sometimes tolerate a quick pet, but most do not want to be touched.

Quote:
The only time I "handled" mine was when the few that had "pasty butt" needed to be cleaned off. I generally don't handle any of them that don't want to be picked up. I give them a 10-15 minute visit three to four times a day roughly. I have noticed that they're becoming slightly less afraid when I reach into the brooder (when I'm siting down first), but with the exceptions I mentioned, they're still rather flighty.

Talk to them in a soft, gentle voice. The trick with chickens is to remember you have the power of FOOD on your side.
gig.gif

wee.gif
Those chickies will quickly learn that you are bringing the stuff they like every time you go near them, bring some feed or a treat.
yippiechickie.gif
Be sure to say "chick-chick" and call each one by name, as they eat from your hand.
old.gif

hugs.gif
Good luck, but don't expect the chickens to be lap pets, remember their instincts, they have been the prey for their entire history on earth.
D.gif
Consider yourself lucky, just to have them allow you to pet them, or to have them come running to you when yoou call.
thumbsup.gif

I thought my chicks hated me in the beginning. but after posting here i got some really good advice. I just started picking them up and holding them, every time i went to see them. when i put treats out, i would call out "girly girls" and tap on the container. Now my 9 weeks olds let me hold them, when i call girly girls, they come running. they just have to get used to you. I was not able to start working with them until they were 4 weeks old.

good luck and please don't get discouraged.

The more Gentle handling the better!!! Slow movements, and a soft calm, mono tone voice! Pitch changes are what they understand. there was an articl in Backyard poultry about this a few months back. It was very informative as to what pitches meant what. Look it up. just remember mono tone is the sound of calmness in a bird.

Good Luck and God Bless!

Back
Top Bottom