Will My Cracked Egg Still Hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by suzettex5, May 28, 2009.

1. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    What a great idea! I never heard of wax or polish helping!
    Wish I knew this before! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. juliecox

juliecox Songster

Jul 27, 2009
    Arlington, TX
    Thank you for this thread! I found a cracked Ameraucana egg under my hen today. I waxed it, and put it back under her. It's only a few more days - hang in there, chicky!

3. LolaIsAChicken

LolaIsAChicken In the Brooder

Oct 5, 2011
    Edmonton
    Oh I am so glad I found this. I accidently dropped the egg (wanda) on the candler and it cracked the end. I am going to wax it, it is day 9 and I was heartbroken! New hope!!

4. suzettex5

suzettex5 Songster

May 26, 2009
    California
    WOW! Im glad this ol' thread is still helping others after it helped me! Funny thing....the egg I cracked, we still have the hen that hatched from it and she is the best layer and broody momma we have ever had! [​IMG]

This thread is like a zombie- it keeps popping up long after we thought it died! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. berniezahm

berniezahm Songster

Oct 24, 2008
    I watched a You-Tube movie titled Repairing a Cracked Egg. I think it was by a big name silkie breeder in California. She repaired the crack with liquid Bandage that can be bought in most drug stores. Then I read about candle wax here on BYC, I've tried both ways and they worked fine. I always thought that nail polish solvent would kill the chick, but live and learn.[​IMG]

6. suzettex5

suzettex5 Songster

May 26, 2009
    California
    Nail polish 'solvent'? I used plain clear nail polish (not the polish solvent/remover), not thinking much about the chemicals at the time. Later on when I did think about it, I did think maybe the chemicals could be harmful, but candle wax also has alot of stuff in it that is not so good for a deveoping embryo, and I didnt have any wax at the time, so.....polish it was!

Liquid bandaide sounds like a great option- gonna add that to my chicken first aide kit. THANKS for the idea!

I was also worried about using wax because I didnt want the wax to melt while the egg was under a warm broodys' bum and end up with a waxy hens butt and an egg that died because the wax melted off and bacteria got in.

I tend to over-think stuff in while in egg crisis mode [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Crowing

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert County MD
    I'd think that the little tea candles (i think thats what they're called) wax would be safest because they're nonscented and cheap

8. Sphinx

Sphinx Crowing

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:I've read this thread a couple times. I'm so glad to hear an update from the OP and hear that the chick made it and is doing so well. :)

1 person likes this.
  9. curious1969

curious1969 Songster

Apr 17, 2011
    Northwest Montana
    Quote:I have had good luck with wax as well. No luck at all using nail polish though. I never remove the wax...just leave it and move it into lockdown [​IMG]

10. Cowgirl75446

Cowgirl75446 Songster

Feb 28, 2011
    Texas
    Quote:Wow. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: