Will my duckling live?

Nosleeplottafaith

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2022
I assisted my ducklings hatching and it is premature unfortunately however I've let the yolk absorb and kept it moist , I've also kept the duckling warm as much as i can , last thing I did was give it sugar water and reheated a disposable shirt. I don't have an incubator so I'm hoping this is enough
I did this all during 2 am and its currently 8 , will he survive or do I have to do more to do so?should I remove something? lm really worried for the poor baby

Attachments

• IMG_20220813_082755__01.jpg
    IMG_20220813_082755__01.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 35
Why did you assist? Is the yolk is already absorbed? Ducklings do not need to eat or drink for at least 2 days after hatch, that's the purpose of the yolk so they can live with out eating for a few days. So don't worry about it not eating and drinking right off. Also this duckling needs constant heat. around 85-90 for first week then drop temps down 5* each week there after. . Why no heat lamp? or heat plate? Do not wet the yolk sac just keep it dry and place the duckling in a small bowl with soft wash cloth or paper towels under until yolk is completely absorbed if it isn't yet.
:welcome

I assisted assuming it was having trouble because I thought it was ready to come out but need the help , of course I was wrong and I've been doing my best to keep it alive , as of right now hes breathing and lightly chirping
The yolk is somewhat absorb as far I can tell from last time I checked , I gave it the Sugar water when I read it helps them get some energy if its getting weak I gave it a little bit

It takes assisted duckling longer to recover from hatching. And when forcing fluids it's very easy to have them aspirate so giving liquid when they can't hold their heads up is a worry . How are you keeping the duckling warm? and is it in a bator. The reason for keeping the duckling contained until yolk is absorb is so it doesn't catch it on something when it starts moving around.
Do you have others hatching?

It takes assisted duckling longer to recover from hatching. And when forcing fluids it's very easy to have them aspirate so giving liquid when they can't hold their heads up is a worry . How are you keeping the duckling warm? and is it in a bator. The reason for keeping the duckling contained until yolk is absorb is so it doesn't catch it on something when it starts moving around.
Do you have others hatching?
No just this one and I have it on a warm blanket and towel , I fed the water by droplets Under its beak

I assisted my ducklings hatching and it is premature unfortunately however I've let the yolk absorb and kept it moist , I've also kept the duckling warm as much as i can , last thing I did was give it sugar water and reheated a disposable shirt. I don't have an incubator so I'm hoping this is enough
I did this all during 2 am and its currently 8 , will he survive or do I have to do more to do so?should I remove something? lm really worried for the poor baby
Update: it lived! I forgot to post this but its breathing and starting to get more fluffy :)

Back
Top Bottom