Will my Easter egger ever lay again?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amartinlb, Nov 29, 2009.

1. amartinlb

amartinlb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    My EE started laying in July, a pretty olive color egg every other day until the beginning of Sept. Then a hawk was around the roosters started "bothering" everyone and no more eggs. I posted at that time and everyone said sometimes they stop for a while, or start when it calms down. I got rid of the roosters - they were all supposed to be pullets - three were roos. It is now 3 fulls months - never laid again! The others are all laying a lot of eggs, on layer pellets. Will she lay again? I miss my olive color eggs, taking a break is one thing but 3 months???

2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Where are you located?
    My Easter Eggers due tend to take an extended break over winter. I have not received Easter Egger eggs for a couple of weeks now. None from my Ameracaunas either. Hang in there, I do believe you will again get those pretty eggs, it just may take a little more waiting.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  3. WVJeanne

WVJeanne Out Of The Brooder

My Easter Eggers are laying about 80%. I have a light on in the coop at night. While some of the chickens bred especially for eggs will lay some in the winter without a light, most won't. Your chickens will start laying again when you have 14 hours of daylight. If you put a light on, it may take a few weeks to take effect.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

My EE is the most erratic layer. No eggs for about 2 months now. Even during the summer I'd get 8-10 eggs in a couple weeks then nothing for a few weeks.

Imp

5. tulie13

tulie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    I had just had 2 out of 5 EE's start laying when I had a coccidiosis outbreak. Then NOBODY laid any eggs for about 5 weeks. They have started laying again, getting 3-6 eggs a day out of 13 hens, but NO green eggs! The rest of my girls are BO and one SS, so all brown eggs for me right now. [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    That's so funny, (well not for you) but my EE is giving my BR a run for her money. She has been giving me 6 eggs a week. Even when most of the others have slacked off for winter. If it weren't for my EE and BR, I'd hardly be getting any eggs.

7. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    I have a red colored hen, was told she is a red Sex Link, but she is not as she lays a light green shelled egg. She has stopped laying completely. I don't know what her problem is. my other breeds are laying. I even have lights in the coop. My Daylight length as not decreased as a result of the lights.

So you can wait for the pretty eggs. My others all lay brown eggs, different shades but mostly brown.

8. All my Americanas halted laying as soon as it got cold but we read that they will start laying again if we put a light down there.

Matthew

9. amartinlb

amartinlb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    I live in NJ by the shore. The coldest it has gotten yet is 45 degrees. The other easter egger lays a pale green every other day. My other types lay has steadily increased as they are all most all of laying age now. I guess I could try a light but then I may get too many from the others! Thanks for the encouragement!

10. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    One of my EEs is doing the same.. i was wondering what was wrong with her! [​IMG] i am getting ready to turn on the heat lamp in the coop so hopefully i will start getting pretty blue eggs again.. [​IMG] Oh and i have another EE but she doesnt lay a blue/green egg just a brown/white egg and she has never taken a brake befor so is the "taking a break" thing something in the jeans of blue/green egg layers?
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by