Will My Eggs Hatch

aj_matt

Chirping
Oct 31, 2022
Hello!

After such bad experiences ordering live chicks, I decided to try hatching eggs. I ordered 1/2 doz Black Copper Marans and 1/2 dozen Lavender Amerauacanas from one seller and a rainbow mix from another seller. I was at the post office today to try and collect the rainbow eggs as there is a massive delay in shipping - they were supposed to arrive today, but the last update on usps has them several days behind schedule. The post office thought it might be on the last truck before the holiday weekend.

The rainbow eggs are still lost in transit and now won't get here until at least Tuesday/Wednesday (shipped this Tuesday, so at least 7-8 days from shipping before arrival). BUT, I was randomly able to get the Black Copper Marans and Lavender Amerauacanas from that truck ahead of schedule. I got home and unfortunately, 3 of the 7 Marans (she shipped one extra of each) are broken and 1 Amerauacana is broken.

My questions are:
1. If I am now unable to get the rainbow mix and it's 8 or so days from when they were picked and shipped, I probably won't have a very good hatch rate, right?
2. If the Marans and Amerauacanas are broke, that means the package was probably jostled around a lot. That also doesn't bode well for the hatch rate for this dozen?
3. Do I even bother emailing any of the sellers? What is the point if whatever happened is out of their control?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1. If I am now unable to get the rainbow mix and it's 8 or so days from when they were picked and shipped, I probably won't have a very good hatch rate, right?
Not necessarily, although probably. It depends on how gentle the UPS guy was with the eggs. Also the fresher the egg the more chances it has to hatch. I read online that eggs shouldn't be older than a week old in order to incubate them.
2. If the Marans and Amerauacanas are broke, that means the package was probably jostled around a lot. That also doesn't bode well for the hatch rate for this dozen?
Well, maybe that one person who handled the eggs was very rough with them, you never know. Perhaps the person handling this dozen will be more gentle??
3. Do I even bother emailing any of the sellers? What is the point if whatever happened is out of their control?
I wouldn't bother. I bet it was the doing of the handler, not the breeder. Although, maybe they will give you a discount since some broke?

Back
Top Bottom