Will my eggs hatch??

beckella

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 8, 2009
McHenry, IL
I have a duck sitting on eggs for the past 2 weeks or so - I just tried counting and it looks like there are at least 25!!! Anyway, is there a way to check to see if they are developing and we will have ducklings? We have a cayuga, welsh harlequin, and pekin with a magpie drake. I'm definitely interested in seeing what the ducklings would look like!!!
smile.png

Thanks!

You could candle the eggs. There are lots of links to show you how. This is by far the easiest way to tell what is good and what isn't. The biggest problem you will have though is that she will stagger hatch which means when the first ones hatch she will leave the nest with them and abandon the rest of the eggs in the nest - even if they are only a day from hatching.

As soon as the first ducklings hatch, take them off her str8 away, then she will continue to sit, keep doing this until all are hatched, then put them back under her at night, or if you want to leave the first hatched with her, take all the other eggs out and put them in a bator. Good luck, keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom