will my geese hatch their eggs sucsessfully?

austinhart123

Songster
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Los Angeles CA
my geese are sitting on 5 eggs and i havent got a chance to candle yet, but im sure that some wont be fertile, everytime ive incubated geese eggs ive had to help them in some way during hatching, and i dont know if these will need help, or if the parents can handle them, i dont want them to die.... will the eggs hatch sucsessfully under them or should i try to intervine?

Quote:
It is very late in the season, why not give the geese a chance to become parents. They are just about the best parents you could hope to find in waterfowl. JMO but I think it is their turn to try.

they have been setting for two weeks, i always allowed them to let them set, they didnt choose to untill recently, my question is WILL THE EGGS HATCH WITHOUT ANY HUMAN HELP UNDER THE GEESE

Quote:
You would need a crystal ball to answer that question! All I can say is that most do. (most geese are NOT going to let you near the nest if a hatch is in progress) Most geese have a better natural hatch rate than all but the most skilled incubators. Incubators tend to produce a greater number because the egg stealing keeps the goose in laying mode rather than going broody, that was the reason for my comment that it is very late in the season, she is unlikely to start laying again now after having gone broody. Please don't take offence, but your statement "everytime ive incubated geese eggs ive had to help them in some way during hatching," indicates to me that you are not a skilled incubator. Your birds, your choice.

My geese hatched out their eggs successfully, and totally by themselves. I allowed them and the ducks to set, and let nature take it's course with the eggs, but we always had wonderful hatch rates... I've never even used an incubator
smile.png

Quote:
You would need a crystal ball to answer that question! All I can say is that most do. (most geese are NOT going to let you near the nest if a hatch is in progress) Most geese have a better natural hatch rate than all but the most skilled incubators. Incubators tend to produce a greater number because the egg stealing keeps the goose in laying mode rather than going broody, that was the reason for my comment that it is very late in the season, she is unlikely to start laying again now after having gone broody. Please don't take offence, but your statement "everytime ive incubated geese eggs ive had to help them in some way during hatching," indicates to me that you are not a skilled incubator. Your birds, your choice.

i wantsnt "stealing" her eggs she laid a nest of over 30 eggs and wasnt setting and abandoned them for a new nest, so i took the egs that werent rotten and incubated them, out of the six i put in, 3 were fertile so only three hatched, all the fertile eggs hatched, the first egg was pipped side down( the pip was against the floor of the incubator), so i turned it, after 24 hours went by, i was worried that it wasnt gunna hatched, so i helped it out, the second and third egg both were both big side against the incubator wall, small side against a water dish, so the pipped and zipped, but were stuck so i helped them out..... the other eggs i incubated using a turkey who crushed the shells as the goslings were hatching, so i had to pull them out before they died......... its funny becuase i never said i was a "skilled incubator".......... i dont know where you got that from, and i think i know someone with a cryatal ball somewhere so ill try that, who knew that crystal balls were more reliable than expierienced people...

WILL THE EGGS HATCH WITHOUT ANY HUMAN HELP UNDER THE GEESE? I do not know. Maybe "expierienced people..." will answer, I know that I am sorry that I tried.

Back
Top Bottom