Will my Gold Laced Wyandotte always be like this?🫠

Apr 29, 2023
Glen Saint Mary, FL
This is my first experience owning a Gold Laced Wyandotte and she is by far the most aloof and lacking in personality of any chicken that I’ve ever owned (Despite being stunningly beautiful 😍). I’ve raised her by hand from a day old chick along with her 12 other flock mates, consisting of Eggers, Brahmas, Orpingtons, silkies, an australorp and a RIR…and she’s the only one who hates being picked up and will wing slap you in a heartbeat. I’ve read that this isn’t unusual for the breed, but it’s heartbreaking because these are my babies😕

Wondered if anyone else had a different experience with a GLW as an older bird? This is Coco, age 13 weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_6606.jpeg
    IMG_6606.jpeg
    451.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6709.jpeg
    IMG_6709.jpeg
    999.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6706.jpeg
    IMG_6706.jpeg
    734.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6654.jpeg
    IMG_6654.jpeg
    595.6 KB · Views: 16
I got mine from a friend who was full grown. She was tough! I finally bonded w her after she went broody and hatched babies. I wld bring her lil watermelon rinds while she was brooding- totally spoiled her! By the time the babies hatched she trusted me and were buds now☺️ Just my experience Im no expert.

In my experience, (I got my first flock of chickens about 6-7 years ago.) they tend to mellow out as they get older.
I had an EE very similar to the way your girl is acting, and now she'll let you pick her up, and eat out of your hand.

I think it also depends on the breed.

Good luck with your girl, show her a decent amount of attention, and some special treats, just for her. ;)

In my experience, (I got my first flock of chickens about 6-7 years ago.) they tend to mellow out as they get older.
I had an EE very similar to the way your girl is acting, and now she'll let you pick her up, and eat out of your hand.

I think it also depends on the breed.

Good luck with your girl, show her a decent amount of attention, and some special treats, just for her. ;)
I have 4 EEs that she has attached herself to…I think it’s because she looks similar to them in color…but all of my Eggers love cuddles🥰

Attachments

• IMG_6570.jpeg
    IMG_6570.jpeg
    629.5 KB · Views: 17

Back
Top Bottom