1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

will my hen lay all year round?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eggshell, Aug 29, 2008.

1. eggshell

eggshell Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2008
    wiltshire, england
    how long do hens lay for? apologies for being naive, i was wondering if they lay all year or do they stop in winter. also will they lay throughout their lives?[​IMG]

2. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    I think it depends upon the breed. I have Buff Orpingtons and Gold Laced Wyandottes, and they are supposed to be excellent winter layers. Some hens go into a "molt" and will stop laying during that period (30-40 days) - But that's usually due to heat, not cold. Also, once a hen gets too old, they'll stop laying.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  3. eggshell

eggshell Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2008
    wiltshire, england
    thanks! what is the lifespan of a chicken? i've heard many different things, seven years seems the most popular, is that the case do you know?

4. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    One of my first chickens back in 1993 was a Barred rock that lived until 8 years 3 months. She was a pet and was saved from several cullings, because of that. I have heard chickens can live 10 years or more. She stilled layed eggs at 8, but only one every week or so.

5. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    i have different breeds and my hens lay year round. they will slow down during the molt, and if one goes through a full molt she may stop for a few weeks. but we usually don't have bone cold weather here. usually maybe 30-20 at night in the winter.and mine are sheltered with a wind break. but i have not placed a heat lamp in the coop yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by