Will my hens care that my roo is gone?

jaimemae

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 27, 2013
Port Orchard, WA
I just rehomed my rooster today and am feeling sad about it. He was a BIG RIR roo. He was super sweet and friendly and even my 6 yo could walk right up to him and pick him up. I hand raised him from one day old. He would come up to me and let me him pick him up....I'd hold him and pet him and he would coo. Even tho he was really sweet to the girls and took great care of them, he was pretty aggressive/rough with them when covering them. They all had back injuries (missing feathers) and they also were starting to get raw spots on their necks just behind their combs from where he would grab them or bite at them. I am not incubating or selling any of my eggs as "fertilized" eggs so I decided to give him away. I saw the place he will be at it and it's a great little hobby farm that was specifically looking for a RIR roo for their RIR hens so they could start hatching. I hope he has a nice life, I already miss his crowing. My girls don't seem to notice that he's gone though, I was worried about them. Do you think they will notice or care that he is gone?? Thanks.

yea, that's what I was thinking also lol. I also have 1 day old silkies that I am going to be introducing to my small flock later this summer and he is way too big for them so he was gonna have to go anyway. I'm just glad I found a good place for him.

Back
Top Bottom