Will my hens ever set????

caral07

Songster
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Ruston Louisiana
I have all kinds of chickens in my coop, but none of them have ever gone broody. I have left eggs in the nest for a day or so but they just wont set. So my question is when do You think my hens will go broody? P.S. I do have broody breeds, and they are 1 and a 1/2 years old.
barnie.gif

When they're good and ready
he.gif
unfortunately! I have a D'Uccle that decided to set 2 weeks after starting to lay.(and its 10 degrees out!) I have standard size breeds the same age as yours that have never went broody. I have silkies that repeatedly set and others that never do. When you find a good broody keep her forever! lol No telling when they will, but spring/summer is generally a very broody time. Good luck!

You might never get a broody hen. You might suddenly have six or seven of them.

Even if they are a breed known for going broody, yours might not. Or you might find one of your "non-setting" breed girls has decided she wants to be a mommy, and goes broody. It's an individual thing with each hen or pullet.

As another poster said, if you get one, never get rid of her!

I have a slew of different breeds in my flock, and my BO has gone broody once so far, as well as a Welsummer. They were barely 7 months old at the time, only been laying about a month. They are both done with raising their chicks, and haven't shown any sign of being broody again. Yet. I hope that's a "yet!"

Back
Top Bottom